XP 64 on a 2008 mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kdb31, May 17, 2008.

1. kdb31 macrumors member

I was wondering if its possible to get xp64 running on the 2008 mac pros; I searched and found a few threads for doing this on the previous generation but nothing on the current gen. I'm guessing that because vista 64 is officially supported now most people dont see the need but I couldn't get my software (Maxwell render) to properly work in vista 64 and I desperately need the extra memory. Everytime windows hits the ~3gb ram mark it just gives me the blue screen which is preventing me from getting the work I need done. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. kdb31 thread starter macrumors member

Where would I obtain the drivers? the bootcamp drivers wont run because they dont support xp64 and I'm not sure what the hardware is so I can't download drivers for it elsewhere. I've managed to grab the ethernet drivers from an intel 5400 chipset tyan motherboard and 8800GT, any ideas for everything else?

3. nomadpass macrumors member

You get the drivers from the OS X install disk the MP came with. The 1st install cd. Just put it in and windows installer will start.

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

In the boot camp requirements you need to have a 32-bit windows XP SP2 installer CD NOT!!!! 64-bit XP

5. nomadpass macrumors member

sorry i didnt see the xp 64. and plus dude - im not sure you even want to be running xp 64 bit. no programs, no one supports it... get vista 64.

6. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Definitely go for Vista 64, there will be limited support for XP 64, and I've heard very bad things.

7. dkujanson macrumors newbie

Yes you can run XP64 in bootcamp. Check out this thread for information on the drivers:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231901&highlight=xp64

If you have software that is developed and tested for XP64 you should have no problems running it on the MacPro. I use XP64 in bootcamp for Lightwave as well as a guest OS under Fusion with no problems.

8. Dzen macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, did you ever get this working? I've been scouring the web looking for XP 64-bit drivers for the 2008 Mac Pro and have had no luck..

The above link seems to be for the 2006 Mac Pro