XP->7...new issues. Please help me.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by akkkmed, Oct 14, 2010.

1. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Running a 2010 MBP Core i5 2.4GHz. I had Windows 7 originally installed. Gave me wireless problems and I gave up. Erased the partition. Installed Windows XP and everything was fine.

I got a new copy of W7 Professional x64. I installed it "over" the existing XP, though it erased the partition anyways (I don't care about that).
    The new 7 install has been giving me the same wireless problems. I downloaded and installed the Broadcom driver. Gave me a BSOD and restarted the computer. Now I have a BSOD on start up, too.

On the OSX side of things, it no longer shows any Boot Camp hard drive. It doesn't recognize it at all. Though when I hold the option key on boot, it still shows the Windows install.

1. How do I fix the BSOD problem? (All caused by installing the driver)
    2. Where the heck is the Boot Camp hard drive/partition?
    Sorry for the length, I really need the help from you guys. I appreciate it!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Installing the new copy of 7 probably did something odd with the partitions. You may be able to recover using gdisk. e.g. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=979951

B

3. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. I installed 7 over XP because, like the other thread's OP, I have the upgrade version. If I wipe out the Boot Camp partition and start over, is the wireless problem something you can help me with?

Specifically, I installed the drivers from the OSX disc. Windows shows the wireless networks, but doesn't let me connect to ANY of them. Doesn't even ask me for the password. (Obviously, the OSX and every other computer works fine with our home wifi)

Thanks again!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry, I have no thoughts on the Wireless issue. I've run into some doozies myself with my iMac previously not wanting to connect at all to the router provided by my ISP. Everything else could, even the iMac running XP. I ended up buying an Airport Extreme and turning off wireless on the router.

Have you tried connecting to a different network?

You can follow the guide here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp to install from upgrade media to a new HDD or partition without installing XP or Vista beforehand.

B

5. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Yupp, I just restored my OS X partition to its original state. No more Boot Camp partition. Tonight, I will follow that guide to reinstall Windows 7. Completely clean this time. I will post back with my results. I'm hoping one of the hundreds of links about the same wireless issue will help fix my issue.

Since I'm a Mac noob, would the Genius people help me with the Windows/Boot Camp issue? My initial thought is no, but then again they flaunt Boot Camp in everyone's faces...

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you want to take it to the Genius bar, don't install any third party drivers before your go. Just install the drivers that came with your Mac, verify that they don't work and take it in.

If nothing else it would be a good test to see if it can join their network.

B

7. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Windows is reinstalled. It can connect to any other network....but not mine.
    I've already tried resetting my router. I made sure the drivers were properly installed from the OS X disk.

Does ANYONE have any ideas? This problem is killing me! Driving me nuts!

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OK. You've got to tell us what router, and what encryption you are using.

B

9. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

2Wire modem/router combo from AT&T UVerse. We are using (I think the default) WPA {Personal}.