XP+BootCamp+Reboot=Blank Screen???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Luftwaffles, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

I've just installed XP SP3 via Boot Camp for the 15th time on my old-gen MacBook Pro. In the course of installing the drivers and setting everything up I've had to reboot countless times (go figure).

One thing that has always happened to my laptop while in Boot Camp is that whenever I reboot the machine through Windows, the machine will shutdown just fine but when it attempts to boot up, the screen doesn't turn on at all. It will chime and everything will spin up (the fans will go nuts at this point), but it doesn't display anything on the screen. One push of the power button will shut everything down, so I doubt that the machine is even booting past EFI during that phase. If I shut the machine down and cold-boot it, everything works fine.

Has anyone noticed this problem or found a fix for it? Google is my friend but in this case was absolutely useless. :(

2. LaDirection macrumors 6502

Are you rebooting using the bootcamp Windows toolbar item?

Otherwise, you can also hold down the option key while rebooting to select OS X as your boot up system which should allow you to boot fine.

3. Luftwaffles thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's when Windows restarts itself, such as after an update or driver installation.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

You still need to do what he said.

5. Luftwaffles thread starter macrumors regular

What he said doesn't help me very much.

1. I want to boot into Windows, not OS X, to finish the updates/installation. And even when I hit the Option key, the screen doesn't turn on until I cold-boot the machine.
    2. It even does this when it restarts on its own.

6. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Do you still have the problem? Because i'm on a Macbook Pro (2006) and I have the issue.

Cold-start works fine, but reboot via Windows goes to a blank screen. Fans and Superdrive making some sounds but nothing more.

Thanks,

7. djeemoms macrumors newbie

I just speak with an AppleCare technician, whe try some things, change the default OS for boot...etc... no fixes.

He will transfer the ticket to Apple's engineers, then call me back on friday 13th.

I'll give you some news shorthly.

8. djeemoms macrumors newbie

The representant call me back yesterday, the engineers wants me to run a little apple tool to collect some information. He will give me some news by friday morning.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I had the exact same problem. When I was in Windows, and tried to reboot, the machine would reboot to a black screen. Apple ended up replacing my computer with a new machine, since for me, it was occurring after a logic board replacement. It was happening on my late-2006 MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz 15" C2D.

Edit: I just wanted to add, they replaced my laptop not just because of the logic board issue, but because of other issues as well.

10. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Thank you for your comment. That's what i'm thinking, I think it's a logical board issue. I will see tomorrow when the AppleCare representative will call me back.

11. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Just speak with the agent, it's a logical board issue. He suggest me to remove extra RAM that i've had last year. But nothing, now calling AppleCare for some information about "lemon" policy.
    Because it will be the fourth time that i'm bringing my laptop to AppleStore and loose him for about 4 days each time.

12. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Have spoken with Applecare customer service, they not think my laptop is irreparable, so they will change the logical board and see if it fixes the problem with Windows reboot on Bootcamp.

Plus, they say that a replacement takes about two weeks to complete, that's not a advantage for me, I can't loose my laptop for two weeks.... :eek:

We'll see after the repair :D

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

When they replaced my logic board before the issue arose, it took a day or 2 to receive the box and prepaid label, and then another 2 days to get my computer back.

14. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Ok, cool. The agent takes me an appointment to an Apple Store Genius Bar, they will ask for the parts to come to the AppleStore then call me back when the part will be available for repair. This way i'm not losing my computer the time the part arrives in store.

15. djeemoms macrumors newbie

They will also change the left I/O board. So, they will replaced two major components. Hope that fixes the issues.

16. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Just a little question because i'm a little bit curious, for the replacement, did Apple gives you a brand new laptop or a refurbished one?

17. PMueller macrumors newbie

Same Problem Here

I got the exact same problem with my new Mac Pro (tower). Haven't installed anything yet, still has the standard 6 x 1GB RAM.

When I hit "Restart" in XP, it just becomes really calm but stays on and the screen is black. I then have to manually turn it off and start again.

18. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Interesting, do you have an AppleCare support with this Mac Pro? If yes, did you call the AppleCare support?

For my case, Applecare was amazingly gentle and professional.

19. PMueller macrumors newbie

Yes I do have Apple Care and yes they are very friendly, I called them today because my Ethernet cable didn't work and they tought me some trick that solved the problem, very nice and helpful. I'll call em and let you know what they recommend…

… ok, back from the phone. They said it is probably a driver problem but weren't sure. They suggested to download the file Bootcamp2.1.exe and use it under Windows or try installing XP from a different CD. I'll try that.

20. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Just get my Macbook Pro back from a logic board change. The problem subsist, I will call AppleCare tomorrow.

21. djeemoms macrumors newbie

Gone to Genius Bar yesterday, they call the "genius" tech. He never seen that issue, he says that the issue is not logical.. haha very funny, at the end he was pretty curious.

They reinstall OSX 10.5.6, retry bootcamp, negative.
    He moves the RAM DIMM from a slot to another, negative, the RAM light flashes in the front.

So, Apple will change the logical board for the second time plus the left I/O board and my 1gb memory DIMM.

If this doesn't correct the issue, it will be the 3rd hardware repair, I think I will be suggested to call the Customer Service.

Stay in touch for part III !

Note: Interesting issue was that in the "Disk Utility", on the "Erase" tab on my local hard drive, we can see that the "Install OS 9 drivers" is activated. This option shouldn't be there.

Edit: I check on a friend Macbook Pro identical to mine, the "Install OS 9 drivers" is activated. So it's not a symptom.

:)

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Windows 7 does this too on a 2007 MBP. But then again, Apple doesn't really support Windows on the mac, so what can you expect?

23. djeemoms macrumors newbie

I know, the tech guy explain me that Apple supports Bootcamp until you click on "Begin installation".

So that why I think that I must talk with the Customer Service. Because on the technical side, there's nothing Apple can do better that change the parts.

24. Troy Jollimore macrumors newbie

That's interesting that new parts solved the issue in one case, but not for another.

Let us know what happens. I'm currently working on an early MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz with 2GB of RAM that is doing this exact same thing. When restarting from Windows the screen goes blank and the system doesn't boot as far as the 'alt option' selection. Powering off and back on solves it. Not the end of the World, but definitely an annoyance. And no, 'not using Windows' is not an option. ;)

I'm sure this had been working fine before. The owner of this system has since upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. I didn't notice if this behaviour was present before I started upgrading Boot Camp from 2.0 to 2.1 in order to upgrade Windows XP to SP3.

25. djeemoms macrumors newbie

In which case the repair fix the problem? Bill Gates? He had a replacement for a new machine.

Hi, yesterday AppleStore call me, the repair is done. I'm gonna pick up my Macbook pro this evening and reinstall Windows XP with Bootcamp assistant. I'll let you know if the repair correct the issue.

If not, it's very not logical, the macbook pro doesn't reboot/shutdown himself when Windows is asking a reboot/shutdown. I think the change of the left I/O board who is responsible for the power may be the key.

Anyway, I'll let you know. If it's working i'll give you my AppleCare case ID for reference.