Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daverso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I have two computers running the same version of XP (it's a corperate version from my office, so the lisence has unlimited uses.) I have one copy on my Mac Pro, it runs perfectly. No problems, doesnt really hang ever, it's about as smooth as windows can be. My MacBook Pro however, does not handle it well at all.
What's happeneing is, whenever I install xp, it works fine for the first week or so, the longest it's gone is two weeks. It then starts hanging. Everything stops responding. I'll restart and be able to get back to work. Over the next few days, it will work less and less. It starts up, then after about 5 minutes, the hard drive starts making a strange clicking sound. It then freezes over. Over the next few days, it will stop booting up. It gets to the blue screen on boot up where it scans the hard drive (which i cannot skip) and it never gets past 0%. At that point, i delete the partition and start all over again, and I get another week or two out of the xp.
I've reinstalled it several times, and one of the time's i completely repartitioned my entire hard drive (wiped off os x and all) and that still didnt work. I've gone through this process 3 times, and I'm about to go through the 4th unless someone has any suggestions. The strangest thing is the hard drive clicking... It doesn't do it in os x, ever. Only in windows... And 100% after the clicking starts, the computer blue screens or just totally locks up. Keep in mind, everything works perfectly with the same copy of windows on my office computer and my laptop. It's reaaaaaly frusterating. Any ideas?

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sounds like bad sectors on your hard drive.

I had an IBM computer that had a bad hard drive. It would click just as it BSOD. Replacing the hard drive fixed the problem.

You should try and record the BSOD error message next time.

OS X may not be encountering issues because Mac OS X's information doesn't lie in those sections. Even if you reformat and repartition it, Mac OS X is still going to be placed on the same area of the Hard Drive.

The biggest indicator though, in the clicking. How loud is the clicking? If it's pretty loud, the HDD is probably on its way out.

daverso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Yeah, I figured that it was bad, but even when i erase the XP partition and then run a disk scan on the whole hard drive it doesn't come up with any errors.
At the apple store they ran a full diagnostic on the computer and didnt find any problems with the hard drive either... Althought i wouldn't put it past them to cheat me out of a new hard drive...
Is there any chance I'm partitioning the hard drive wrong? I'm partitioning it as fat32 during windows setup, is that correct?

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah, I figured that it was bad, but even when i erase the XP partition and then run a disk scan on the whole hard drive it doesn't come up with any errors.
At the apple store they ran a full diagnostic on the computer and didnt find any problems with the hard drive either... Althought i wouldn't put it past them to cheat me out of a new hard drive...
Is there any chance I'm partitioning the hard drive wrong? I'm partitioning it as fat32 during windows setup, is that correct?

The file system should have nothing to do with it, especially because on all occasions it has given you hell. The HDD is without a doubt going to die... I can only see Apple giving you a new one for free when it is totally dead or when it's constantly clicking. Unfortunately you'll probably be on your own as far as cost for this one.

EDIT: Not almost dead, it's just the very beginning. You'd have to wait a very long time (maybe, depends) for it to die. I notice that Windows has a lot more HD activity than OS X, which is why you would notice it more on XP. That plus the bad sector

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.