XP drivers incomplete, Boot Camp updates won't install, tried Regedit, next?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Charlie Croker, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Charlie Croker macrumors member

Charlie Croker

I have a new MBP 2010, therefore I imagine my OSX disk has Boot Camp 2.1 on it though I'm not sure. I've installed Windows XP in Boot Camp but had problems on the tail end of the install when my OSX disk started clicking and repeating when trying to install the final drivers off the disk. It had got about half way through. The disk is clean and unscratched so don't know what to make of it.

So I tried looking for the Boot Camp updates online and discovered the v2.1, v2.2 etc. on Apple's website. I downloaded these. v2.1 is large 215mb and the other smaller, a minor update. I downloaded them a couple of times in case they were a faulty download. They were not.

I double clicked on the v2.1 to get the drivers installed. The window comes up asking you if you want to run it. "Run" then the window disappears, there sounds like there is some disk activity, then the computer settles down again as if nothing had happened. The drivers are not installed or updated as the Device Manager still shows its question marks on the affected entries.

So I dug a bit deeper and discovered some people have problems with RegEdit entries that need changing, a key that needs renumbering. i.e. this> http://www.tiagodherbe.eu/Page/3191/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/118/Home.aspx

I searched for the Boot Camp entries in the RegEdit, and the ones I did find were already correctly set to the number the advice was saying to change it to (409 and 1033). I am not certain but this may be because my OSX disk has v2.1 of Boot Camp.

I tried running v2.2 as an experiment and the same sequence occurs.

Now I am at a dead end of Google searching to find out what to do next in order to complete my driver updates for XP. Has anyone got any advice? Many thanks.

2. Charlie Croker thread starter macrumors member

Charlie Croker

Update - I've got to the stage where my "About Boot Camp" reports v3.1 installed. I managed to get the OSX disk up and running again. I have found some other pages on Apple support regarding Boot Camp updates grinding to a halt invisibly. However there does not seem to be a strong consensus.

My version of XP is currently stable with no question marks and I've updated the Windows security updates et al.

I'll try loading some software to see how robust it is now.