XP fan control help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cavebob, May 9, 2008.

1. cavebob macrumors member

Can anyone link me to an app that I can use to control my MBP fans in XP? On idle the MBP is fine but if i game it becomes HOT, like the kind of hot that hurts =(.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Search fan control on:
    download.com

I have a mStand, it helps with some airflow. Also if MBP uses external monitor and turns internal off, it doesn't get as hot.

3. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hi,
    fancontrol wont work as there is no bios i think.
    What works is "input remapper". But u can only set minimum speed, no max.!
    For me it is he only app that work on windows. Maybe there are some others out there?

edit: use rightmark clock utility- great program, u can reduce voltage and the book keeps 10°C cooler under full work!

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

What you do is download SMCfancontrol and then set the desired minimum speed. then restart into windows. Its a hassle, I know, but it works. Hope this helps. :)

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

does it really work? I've tried it using the defalt, creating a new one, etc., and every time come back from XP and check the fan speed they're at about 1,000.
    What am I doing wrong?

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

once you go back into OS X from XP it resets i believe..

7. wesrk macrumors 6502a

yeah I thought it might be that, but then why would it reset to 1,000 rpm when OSX minimum is 2,000?

8. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Input Remapper seems to work, but my install is pretty darn glitchy...for some reason the sliders "twitch" and when I'm trying to set fan speeds the actual text in the window below don't show it or they flicker also.

I mean it seems to work, but I never know what the speed of the fans are. I mainly go off of audible to determine if it's "about right" or not. Not exactly what I like doing...

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This works.

10. wesrk macrumors 6502a

yeah same thing with me, it shows the speed but very fast and it flickers so I as well go by sound...

11. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I use this method here:
    Undervolting a Computer

It works VERY well as my temps and fan speed have dropped tremendously in XP.