XP from recovery disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zuma022, Jun 14, 2008.

1. zuma022 macrumors regular

I recently got my new iMac and I love it dearly. It's an amazing piece of technology. I don't know why it took me so long to switch from a PC.

I have a question though, I would like to run Parallels, but the only XP disks I found from my old Asus notebook are two recovery disks. Will I be able to install XP with those? I haven't bought Parallels yet, because if I have to buy XP I probably won't do it. Any advice?

2. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

you might be able to use the asus disks. although the company might have locked it only to their own computers. at least thats what dell do...

you could just download windows of the net and then use your license key, dont know if thats illegal sicne you have already purchased windows.

3. chscag macrumors 65816

You can not use the recovery disks for two reasons:

1. They're designed to recover and install XP to an Asus notebook and are BIOS locked to that particular Asus machine.

2. OEM versions of Windows may only be used on the machine they were purchased for or pre-installed on. (MS EULA)

You will need a full install CD (not upgrade) of either XP Home or Pro with SP2 in order to install XP using Boot Camp. To install in either Parallels or Fusion you will need a full install CD of XP Home or Pro or any other version of Windows supported by Parallels.

I purchased an OEM full install version of XP Home SP2 back in April for $69.00 and free shipping, however, it's very difficult to find a copy for that price now. Best place to look is on Pricewatch or Pricegrabber.

Regards.

4. zuma022 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. I guess I'm going to wait until I find a good deal for XP. I probably won't use it enough to justify the extra money.

5. zuma022 thread starter macrumors regular

I got another quick question. My dad has an XP install disk, but he has loaded XP from that disk on his computer. If he were to give it to me, could that potentially cause problems for him? Would Microsoft realise there's two XP installations out there with the same code?
    Or could I use his disk with my code from the Asus notebook?

Thanks so much!

6. chscag macrumors 65816

You could use your father's disk if it is a full install version and you purchase a new license for it from MS or another retailer. You can not use his copy and license (PID) as that would violate the MS EULA.

Likewise you can not use his disk and the PID from your Asus notebook as that is a violation of the EULA in that your PID is OEM and can only be used on the Asus.

Regards.

7. zuma022 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll just watch ebay until something affordable comes up. I'm not in a real rush to get it going.