XP Home or XP Pro in bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jonesjb, May 10, 2010.

1. jonesjb macrumors member

Hi,
    I have the option of purchasing XP Home or XP Pro for me to run in Bootcamp. I will be running some games on my new Macbook Pro (via Windows). I understand Pro can use dual processors, while Home cannot. Will there be any performance difference between Pro and Home? Pro is $100 more, so
    I'd prefer not to pay more money if there is no benefit.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The MBP has one processor, so Pro will not give you any performance benefit for games unless you have a Mac Pro.

B

3. MacBookDan macrumors member

Where did you hear that XP home doesn't work with dual cores? Home will be fine and where are you purchasing these from? $100+ for XP is harsh, I'm sure it's like £40 now.

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

If both can utilize two processor cores, then there's indeed no reason to go Pro. On the other hand, I think it's a tad silly to buy Windows XP in 2010. It's a ten year old OS. Sure, it's gotten better with the service packs that it got, but it's nothing compared to either Vista or Windows 7. Both can run DirectX 10 and 11, while XP is stuck with DirectX 9. Do you really want to invest in largely obsolete technology?

5. MacBookDan macrumors member

XP is the OS for gamers and programmers. I used to game every day, got to high/pro level, I switched to Vista and the mouse acceleration and mouse precision was so annoying. I lost my aim because of it. Also the mouse hz was capped at 125 whilst I NEEDED 500 minimum. I use XP still till this day for programming and working on a mod.

Sometimes you can't beat XP, Windows 7 is where it's at though tbh, the automatic updates are amazing... stability is good as well, although it didn't like my Q6600 @3.6, Windows XP was fine though.

Win7 > XP > Vista
    Mac > all
    :D

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is what causes confusion: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/multicore-processor-licensing.aspx

To turn that around: Windows XP Home supports one processor regardless of the number of cores on the processor.

So for any Mac other than a dual processor Mac Pro. Home is fine.

B