xp home vs xp professional for playing games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azngamer808, Feb 29, 2008.

1. azngamer808 macrumors member

so i want to run windows xp through boot camp to play pc games on my new macbook pro. i never plan on playing the latest and greatest games. this is more for playing games like the sims and age of empires. however, i was unsure as to whether to run xp home or xp professional. i thought that home would be just as good as pro for my usage, but i was told by a person at the mac store (not the apple store) that if i used xp home, the games would only be using one of the processors of the core 2 duo (making it run less than optimal), and that only xp professional would run both processors at the same time and make full use of the core 2 duo. I just happened to be in best buy later that day and a geek squad person told me that xp home would be just as good as xp pro. i'm so confused and don't know who to believe. please help me macrumors board! thanks!!

2. mrmacosx macrumors member

the apple guy's wrong

Hey,

The mac store guy's wrong. Windows XP Home Edition can only use 1 processor but can use 2 cores in 1 processor (as in the Core 2 Duo). So Home and Pro is really no diff if you're playing games.

mrmacosx

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yeah, home vs. pro shouldn't affect anything really. I'm using xp home and it runs (somewhat demanding) games like a breeze

4. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Yeah, xp home and pro are the same when talking about processor usage. Neither is optimized for multi-core or multi-processor technology anyways. Your good with just using xp home for games. I assume your going to be playing the games through bootcamp?

-JoE

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Go with XP Pro. Do they even sell XP Home anymore?

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Any reasons for Pro or Home or just because "it's better?"

Home and Pro both use both cores of the core 2 duo processor so you don't have to worry about that. Also, there is a windows on mac forum heading that has more in depth answers to this question if you do a search.