XP install issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ginnysd, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Ginnysd macrumors newbie

I have an iMac Intel Duo Core 2.66 GHz machine. OS is 10.6.4 with all updates
    I am trying to install Windows XP, I use boot camp assistant to create a 32 GB partition.....it creates fine and puts on desktop. I continue with the INSTALL per the wizard. When the machine reboots via the CD the ONLY partition that appears in the list is C: 131072mb.......no other partitions as per the instructions on page 9, which I have printed off. I do NOT see the Boot Camp or the Mac hard drive partition.
    I do not understand this because I have 265 GB partition that my Mac OSX 10.6.4 is installed on
    the Partition I created for the XP windows version is 32 GB (formatted Fat32)
    and the CD in the drive is 512mb............so where the heck is this 131072mb partition coming from and what have I done wrong.
    Thank you for your help!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The two partition tables are confused. You can try to repair it by booting from your install disc and run disk utility from there to verify and repair your disk.

If that doesn't work you can search for gdisk and identify to fix your partitions.

B

3. Ginnysd thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the ignorance but what is gdisk?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I was posting from my phone so I could not look for the link which is why I suggested you search the forum.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10865958&postcount=15

gdisk is a GPT compatible partition tool.

NOTE: Any time you plan to modify the partition table you should have a full, verified backup. If you don't you stand to lose all your installed apps and data.

B