XP Install:: The Dreaded Black Screen!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Saladsamurai, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I know this is old news and I have done quite a bit of searching, but I am growing very impatient as I am not finding my "particular case." I have a late 2006 MBP. I have a Win XP SP3 disk.

I did tyhe following:

1.Went to Bootcamp assistant and partitioned as FAT32 and let it auto-reboot

2.Inserted WinXP Disk.

3.Chose the "Bootcamp" partition from the Blue Windows screen.

4."Converted to NTFS"

5.Let Windows install all of its files.

6. Let it auto-reboot

Now I am at the Black screen (with no cursor)!! My fans are going strong and so is the optical drive (i think).

What do I do now?

2. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

For anyone who cares, here is how I solved this.

First, I had to realize that my MBP, for reasons I do not understand, will not restart from the Windows side. When you 'restart' it justs shuts down, then you here the Apple chime and then the fans kick on. Nothing else. The MBP does not actuall 'restart.'

Also, I read under Apple support that you should not select "Convert to NTFS" or "Leave current file system intact." You should only use the 2 "Format as NTFS" options (assuming you want NTFS formatting; otherwise, use FAT32 option. Either way, you must format the 'Bootcamp' partition from the windows installer. Don't just assume that the Bootcamp assistant did its job).

So, in the OP, replace step 4 with an appropriate choice.

Since step 6 did not really reboot (it only shut down and then pseudo-restarted) I had to manually shut it down and then manually start it back up again. I held down the 'Option' button for good measure and selected the Windows partition, not the install disk.

Things were pretty clear from there. Finish the install. Load up Leopard and install Bootcamp drivers. Then I was able to connect to the web and do a windows update.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

One minor correction.

BCA did its job, it partitioned the space and marked it as intended for Windows. Anything to do with NTFS is the Windows installer's job since Microsoft won't document or license NTFS to anyone else...

B

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I had heard that Bootcamp was known to have issues partitioning even in FAT32. Perhaps I heard wrong.

thanks!