Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studiox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
Just wanted to share my experience with windows on Mac Pro.

My setup is as follows:
Mac Pro 2.66
2 Gig ram (4x512)
SATA 160G disk
1x Superdrive
20" ACD.
ATI 1900XT

I grabbed BootCamp from Apple. Didn't really know what to do with it, execpt to burn a CD with drivers.

Added my IDE harddrive with Windows XP on. Installed it in the second bay where #2 superdrive should fit. The IDE cable is REALLY tight and it was a pain in the ass to get it there. No points there to apple.

Formatted it to be able to find it in Bootcamp to do.. whatever bootcamp wanted to to with it.. But now success.

So i just loaded my Windows XP Pro SP2 cd and rebooted while holding "C" on the keyboard.

The windows Installer loaded. That is w/o doing anything with bootcamp or update firmware etc. etc.

Windows installed lovely. After the reboot it loaded OsX so i just rebooted again and picked the Windows disk (Holding Option).

Windows Installed and now time for the Apple Driver CD. Loaded it up and A windows installer showed up. It consumed ALOT of CPU while doing that and the whole system where more or less useless during that time.

It seemed to install a lot of things but i didn't get:
* Apple keyboard (No eject button, sound change etc)
* ATI 1900XT driver didn't load.

Ethernet, Sound, Firewire, USB etc. however loaded up fine.

I grabbed the ATI 1900XT driver from ATI.com - And it worked fine (But people here have reported it WONT work. But for me it worked fine).

Installed BF2 and everything was running nicely. No major load times even if i can understand it would be better to install on a separate SATA drive. (but i want those bays for SATA MAC disks ;)

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I used the Bootcamp drivers disc and it installed the ATI drivers for me automatically. Weird. On my first attempt, it didn't install the Apple keyboard software; on the second attempt (I decided to partition the hard drive) it did.

As stated in my other thread, sound doesn't work properly - it comes from the speaker at the front, instead of my speakers.

Other than that, I've had no problems whatsover. It feels a little strange using Windows on a Mac, though.

Advice for people who haven't tried yet, don't be tempted (as I was on my first install) to leave rebooting whilst you do other stuff. Whenever it asks you to reboot, do so immediately. I had a few quirks, mainly with my Bluetooth (Apple) keyboard when I postponed rebooting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.