Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

Is there any possibility to run XP mode on a Mac Pro (W7 Ultimate x64 via BC)? When I try to start this thing, I'm getting an error message that it could not be started because hardware-assisted virtualization is disabled. Is there any workaround to enable that?

Thank you,
sash

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure if this helpful but I was able to download and run the XP mode in win7 on my unibody mbp.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
XP works too on my MacBook Early 2008.

Back to the original post, if you look at Apple's support site, they have an article detailing Windows 7 support in Boot Camp:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920

Hi,

I'm able to install under W7 almost all I need -- except for 1 annoying little banking program which I unfortunately absolutely can't miss. What a shame, vista is one big disaster. Hoped escaped from it... W7 looked better in the reviews I've read, although I'm afraid it's the same piece of **** as vista, but just in a new package.

sash

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
And this program is quite a problem, as the suckers still haven't released an official version for vista (and nothing for x64 in general), and do not plan to release a thing for Mac OS at all. Like never ever. At the moment I do not whom to hate more: big time suckers from microsoft or smaller time suckers from my bank. Perhaps, both of them.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Well you could run XP Pro via VMware or Parallels on the Mac side to run this program and have W7 with Boot Camp for everything else.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Well you could run XP Pro via VMware or Parallels on the Mac side to run this program and have W7 with Boot Camp for everything else.

I'll use it for some time via doubleboot W7 / vista. Hope Apple will provide some workaround for this issue in the new BC version.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I'll use it for some time via doubleboot W7 / vista. Hope Apple will provide some workaround for this issue in the new BC version.

Well according to Apple, they are going to support W7 by the end of the year. Who knows whether they actually will, however.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I was also able to get XP mode working on my MBP running Windows 7 via Boot Camp. The OP is right when he says that Windows 7 shares the same core OS as Vista. 7 is still Vista at it's core, but a cleaned up surface. Much of the Vista code remains unchanged.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
I was also able to get XP mode working on my MBP running Windows 7 via Boot Camp. The OP is right when he says that Windows 7 shares the same core OS as Vista. 7 is still Vista at it's core, but a cleaned up surface. Much of the Vista code remains unchanged.

Hi,

I believe, every virtualization machine enables the hardware-assisted virtualization on a Mac, so actually it could be a solution. Problem is, I don’t have it and would like not to install any of them. At this point of time at least.

Or is the XP mode working on your machine even without any Parallels etc. installed?

sash

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are you running any kind of virtualization on Mac OS?

XP mode will only work in bootcamp as that provides windows with the hardware virtualization it requires. Trying to run XP mode in windows 7 under vmware or parallels will not work.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
XP mode will only work in bootcamp as that provides windows with the hardware virtualization it requires. Trying to run XP mode in windows 7 under vmware or parallels will not work.

No, I mean, installing and running any virtualization machine enables Intel Virtualization Technology, which is otherwise disabled (so I've heard, not 100% sure). We can not access BIOS, so there is no any other solution to enable Intel VT. At least, I haven't heard of any other solution.

If there is something I can do in order to enable Intel VT, I'd be happy to learn it...

sash

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Although, I could be wrong all the way... Here is what I found on Wikipedia:

"As of July 2008, the Mac Pro (Early 2008 model, and possibly others) only supports hardware virtualization for users running Mac OS X. This is because Intel Hardware Virtualization is switched off at boot time by the EFI. Virtualization products such as Parallels Desktop for Mac can still enable the hardware virtualization after the OS has loaded, but only under Mac OS X. A similar bug in the Mac Mini was later fixed through a firmware update. It is still possible to enable the hardware virtualization under Windows using CrystalCPUID's MSR walker. It is also possible to enable it under Linux by loading the MSR module, and using that to write to the appropriate register. Once it is enabled, and locked on, it can only be disabled by physically removing the power supply from the Mac Pro."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.