XP on Lion (again)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kyle N, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Kyle N, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

Kyle N macrumors newbie

So I've read for hours on this. I have done this with my old iMac a few times. My recently acquired Lion machine will work, but no drivers work.

This is what I am doing. I know Lion doesn't support XP.

•So I create a 100gb partition in disc utility.
    •I install XP.
    •I boot in XP.

This is where it all goes to hell. More like nowhere, actually.

I have a Snow Leopard bare OS installation disc, the 29-30 dollar one. I DO NOT have the grey factory discs, they were lost in moving a few weeks ago (from my old Leopard iMac discs). I hope they weren't thrown out.

•I install the drivers from the Snow Leopard disc.
    •Reboot in XP.

Nothing works any different than before. I dont know why. I installed XP, then erased and installed again. The drivers on the Snow Leopard disc simply didnt do a damn thing. I'm kicking myself because I either lost or threw out my copy of the original disc divers you downloaded (back 5 years ago) just a few weeks back. Thats how I got it on the last several times, never a issue.

Can anyone verify if the Snow Leopard disc I have is a useful copy for this. There is absolutely no reason, as far as I could imagine, why Lion on the mac side would interact at all with the XP partition. This should work, but doesnt. I have read that the gray factory Leopard discs work, NOT the Snow Leopard disc I have.

And the drivers link on apples site is an update, NOT a original. So dont send that link as the solution to the problems.

Any input is appreciated. I should be unpacking my **** next week, I have already looked in most places, I fear the worst. If I find this disc, I am getting it online ASAP. I fear the worst, though.

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac (model or year) do you actually have?

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Call Apple and order replacement grey disks since it reads like you know those work and either are lost/packed away

4. chrfr macrumors 603

I'm not clear what you're asking. The Windows drivers from the ML installer don't load in Windows? Under Device Manager, all the Apple specific devices don't have drivers loaded? What model Mac is it?

5. Kyle N thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that is probably important. I have a early 2011 2.7 quad 27" running on Mountain Lion 10.7.5. I was planning on getting a new-new one, but I am no into the DVD-free new models. What a joke, IMO.

I am pretty sure they don't have discs for a 5.5 year old iMac. Beside, I am not spending money on something that I don't know will work. Thanks for the suggestion, it will be kept in mind.

Mountain Lion does not support XP, only Windows 7+, I suppose. Hence why I am using the Snow Leopard disc I have, because back then it did (supposedly) support XP. I didnt look at weather or not the drivers loaded. I just know they aren't working. No sound, no keyboard, no wifi, etc. I load the drivers, reboot in XP, it is behaves just like it did before the drivers were installed. No difference what-so-ever.

Thanks, Kyle.