Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
I would like to know if i can toss my PC box in the trash can. I use my PC for a few softwares and play new games for a short amount of time. I would like to setup 1 mac that i can dual boot insted of having a pc and loging on to the pc when i want to play games and so on. I gave Bootcamp and i like it but am i ready to thorw my PC box and never buy another PC again?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Why don't you set your Mac up with XP/Bootcamp and get it running as smoothly as you can?

Put the PC in a cupboard, garage or somewhere out of the way for a couple of weeks or months and see if you ever need to drag it out and use it.

If after a period of time you haven't gone back to it, then chuck it away or give it to someone.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
computers should not be thrown in the trash due to the amount of toxic materials conatined in them.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
crazycat said:
I would like to know if i can toss my PC box in the trash can. I use my PC for a few softwares and play new games for a short amount of time. I would like to setup 1 mac that i can dual boot insted of having a pc and loging on to the pc when i want to play games and so on. I gave Bootcamp and i like it but am i ready to thorw my PC box and never buy another PC again?

As long as you're not planning on selling the PC, I would suggest keeping it, but using boot camp for now. Once whatever permanant solution is going to come out comes out, then you can get rid of the PC (remember, boot camp is only temporary, and the software will expire). That will keep you covered in case something happens.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
jhu said:
computers should not be thrown in the trash due to the amount of toxic materials conatined in them.

I did not mean literally.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
While I'm going to keep this generation of Mac/PC, my next PC will be a truly pimp MBP (I'm saving up till the 64-bit ones, though)

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
caveman_uk said:
I'd keep the PC, bung Linux or FreeBSD on it and use it as a headless fileserver/backup/general server plaything....

Seconded. If you have any interest in Linux, turn the machine into a Linux box. It's really a fine OS and it'll teach you a lot.

I turned my B&W G3 into a Gentoo server (SMB, WWW, et cetera) and it's great. I have a couple hundred gigabytes of stuff on it and a couple Applescripts that automatically mount its shares. It's slow compared to a local hard drive, but it's also extremely dependable and nice for when I skitz out and decide to format my iMac's HD and reinstall everything.

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
The only issue I've had with XP on Mac is with MSN Messenger. Not just MSN the program itself, but something that has to do with loggin into the MSN network or something. Trillian and MSN messenger cause my system to randomly throw out blue screens when setting up the options for MSN log-in.

That's it. Everything else works great. I was a little discouraged of the fact that the BT mouse is a one button mouse but the program that one can download to allow CTRL+click to work as a right click works perfectly.

My PC is now at my office since Im tired of setting up my laptop on a daily basis.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
Feel free to donate it to ME ;) I like to pay shipping for things coming my way - and I could really use a *nix firewall boxen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.