XP on parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by computergeek, Feb 9, 2008.

1. computergeek macrumors member

Hello,

I am just about to install windows xp on parallels on my mac but i just have a couple of questions before i do:

1. How much ram should i give it
    2. How much HD space should i give it
    3. Anything i should know before i do this

thanks in advance
    Computergeek:apple:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can let the virtual HD grow. The amount of RAM depends on what you mean to do with it, but 600MB should be great :)

3. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

there must be an option for virtual HD grow. Also all i need is 600mb, you wouldn`t give it 1gb.

I also have another question about the ram, does parallels only use the memory allocated to it when parallels in running. so when parallels isn`t open macOSX can use that 1gb right

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Can anyone answer the OP's question above? I too would like to know if when I wasn't using parallels or fusion that mac OS X can use the RAM?

5. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

Yes, when Parallels or Fusion are not running, they release their RAM to OS X. It's hard drive space they retain: either in the form of a large file for each virtual machine, or smaller files plus the Boot Camp partition.

6. Nadasive macrumors 6502

Yes, Mac OS X can use the 1gb. No questions asked :cool:

7. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I have found some official information on Parallels web-site that answers your question. They have nice support there. I used this info when I was installing my Parallels Desktop 2 months ago. Check it.