XP on parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by computergeek, Feb 9, 2008.

1. computergeek macrumors member

Jan 9, 2008

I am just about to install windows xp on parallels on my mac but i just have a couple of questions before i do:

1. How much ram should i give it
    2. How much HD space should i give it
    3. Anything i should know before i do this

thanks in advance
  2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    You can let the virtual HD grow. The amount of RAM depends on what you mean to do with it, but 600MB should be great :)
  3. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

Jan 9, 2008
    there must be an option for virtual HD grow. Also all i need is 600mb, you wouldn`t give it 1gb.

I also have another question about the ram, does parallels only use the memory allocated to it when parallels in running. so when parallels isn`t open macOSX can use that 1gb right
  4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2007
    Can anyone answer the OP's question above? I too would like to know if when I wasn't using parallels or fusion that mac OS X can use the RAM?
  5. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2008
    Yes, when Parallels or Fusion are not running, they release their RAM to OS X. It's hard drive space they retain: either in the form of a large file for each virtual machine, or smaller files plus the Boot Camp partition.
  6. Nadasive macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2007
    Henderson, Nevada
    Yes, Mac OS X can use the 1gb. No questions asked :cool:
  7. nikopolidis macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2007
    I have found some official information on Parallels web-site that answers your question. They have nice support there. I used this info when I was installing my Parallels Desktop 2 months ago. Check it.