xp or 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dmoreno26, Jul 15, 2010.

1. dmoreno26 macrumors member

windows 7 or windows xp

which do you prefer on your mac?
    im only going to be doing architecture programs
    so what do you think i should do?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're only using it for a couple of apps, I'd suggest XP. It's easier to use and is probably much cheaper than 7 now.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Personally I prefer Windows 7 over XP. Plus you can access 4GB+ RAM with the Win 7 x64. Yes there is an XP x64 but has little supported hardware.

The current AutoCAD has some pretty hefty requirements so you should look at Win 7 just for the additional RAM support.

4. dmoreno26 thread starter macrumors member

5. theheyes macrumors regular

Windows 7 x64 is a no brainer. It would be pretty silly to buy XP at this stage and the difference in price is insignificant.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I disagree, if the programs you use work well in Windows XP, I say get XP because it is faster in general and more compatible at this point (at least for me, but other may have different experiences).

7. Aniki macrumors regular

I don't exactly see the point of using Windows XP still. It's a 10 year old OS >_>

8. charliex5 macrumors regular

Third year arch student here. I use 7 in bootcamp with 4 gigs of RAM and it works awesome with AutoCAD and Revit. I haven't tried XP with it at all so I can't speak for it.

9. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

I suggest installing Windows Seven, because the new Programs and drivers manufacturers makes only for Windows Seven.

XP is less demanding on computer resources, but has a problem with drivers.

And I think now computers is not so weak that the you would install this system to win in performance.

But do not deny, XP is the great system, but already outdated.