XP or Vista for gaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Skibsted, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Skibsted macrumors regular

Skibsted

There seem to be a lot of threads about whether to use XP or Vista via bootcamp. Some of the threads say Vista is better and some say XP is better.

I'm only going to use my Windows partition for gaming - nothing else.

I have a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 3 GB RAM.

Please help me to decide.

Thanks in advance

Skibsted

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Vista supports DirectX 10, but your video card evidently does not (it will play DirectX 10 games that don't require DX10, just without the DX10 eye-candy), so you're likely better off with XP from a performance standpoint.

3. aki macrumors 6502a

i worried a lot xp or vista but i installed vista32 at the end and no problems......i think after sp1 vista is pretty good and yur mac is fast enough to run it ok....there is no real reason to go xp now on a new mac i think....

4. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

What about the RAM discussion? I have read somewhere that Windows will only use 2GB of RAM even though you have 3.
    Is this true?

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

This is true. However, the difference in fps between Vista and XP is like 1-2 fps (in XP's favor). Not a big deal. Even with your video card not being able to take advantage of DX10, Vista would still be a good choice.

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I think Vista32 only recognizes 3 instead of 4, not 2 instead of 3

7. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

8. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I use XP only because I find it slightly less annoying than Vista, I think it is just a personal preference.

9. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

What about the fact that Vista has a lot of background processes that drain performance? Isn't that an issue?

10. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Try Vista first, and if you don't like it then switch back to XP. I know it will be a pain at first, but that might be the only way for you to tell if you really like Vista

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It really doesn't matter much, either will be fine.

12. TheLordsServant macrumors member

I have to vote that, after my personal experience, XP is better for gaming than Vista is.

13. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Thanks for your responses guys.
    As this thread can confirm, there are a lot of controversy about which operating system is better.

I think I'll try XP - this OS does not take up a lot of hard drive space and I now what I get.

14. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

That would be the FUD and BS. Vista is not made for older systems. It has, despite what many would like to think, many new features and under the hood changes. It's a lot smarter than XP with memory management. I have no idea why people install it on their P4 with 512 RAM and wonder why their computer suddenly goes so slow.

The "controversy" is from people who either simply hate Microsoft to being with or have yet to even try Vista for more than 5 minutes. You want numbers? Try this: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2144497&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=6&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear&#lastunread

Granted this thread is from February, and Vista 64 is now more preferred, but you get my point (I hope, for your sake).

15. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

OK, so when you see my computer specs (mentioned earlier) do you then think my MBP can handle Vista?

16. TSE macrumors 68030

Yes, your computer can handle Vista just great. If you want to speed up the computer a bit, don't use Aero, and don't use any of the eye candy or background widgets, toolbars, etc. when you are playing games.

I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit installed on my MacBook Pro with less ram and it runs just great.

Personally, I think to enjoy Vista, you must have ATLEAST:

-A Core Duo processor, clocked in atleast 1.66 GHZ
    -2 GBs of RAM
    -100 GBs of Hard Drive space (my partition only has 80 GBs, wish I made it bigger.)

17. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Thanks for your response.
    So if I understand you correctly, you think I should pick Vista because it runs great. But does it run better than XP? I guess that is the ultimate questions:)

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If you get Vista then youll be able to use it in your next computer. If you get XP then youll have to buy another OS later.

19. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Well, the thing is that I have XP but money is not really an issue.
    If you were to convince me that Vista is better for gaming - I would buy that.

If I were to go with XP, should I choose 32 or 64 bit and should I choose SP2 or SP3 - I mean are there any problems with bootcamp and SP3?

20. aki macrumors 6502a

...if u go xp choose xp32bit - people say 64 is not worth trouble - and sp3 is working ok

but again i think if u have a new mac vista is better....any speed difference is very small or nothing after sp1....vista is easier to use....its like panther or leopard yes you could run panther but like why... unless u have some reason

the ooooooonly thing for xp would be if you HAVE to play some old game that vista can't but for such games i use parallels xp

21. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Thanks for the reply.
    Now I'm leaning towards Vista:)

22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Just read the other threads that are asking a similar question:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=501774

Not long ago I was in your situation too. I was gonna install Windows and all I cared about was gaming on it (Leopard for everything else).

23. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Thanks for your input. So it seems more people are recommending Vista beacuese it's newer and because you'll have an OS that will last longer.
    But is the performance the same?

24. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Just to give you guys an update.
    i have decided to go with XP due to the fact that it seems to give a better framerate when playing games and it takes up less hard drive space.

I have bought the Windows XP pro SP3 version.
    Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks

25. Photo Monkey macrumors member

From a non-technical view, when will the first game arrive that doesn't run on XP? That's when you need Vista.