Xp or Win7 on VMware with 80GB SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 13, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Just wondering. I have an Intel X25-M 80GB (Optibay) and 250GB. Only really need windows for the rare use of a business application that's not available on OS X so I'm thinking win xp. 7 is nice but I don't think I will ever use the features. It's like get on and get off windows and be done. Not going to be doing any gaming or anything. Thoughts? thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless you already have XP, get Windows 7. XP is ancient, nearly 10 years old. I installed Windows 7 via Parallels last week and it runs flawlessly. It's also cheaper as XP is pretty hard to find

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

win7 FTW!! its as fast or faster than xp & it has more features than vista

4. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Argggg matey!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What? :confused: I haven't seen it in here for months. Before W7, there was market for it but now that Vista is history, I haven't see even a flash of it. Some places still sell it, for 250€ with +2 weeks delivery time. Of course you can find it from various download sites but those aren't count

6. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Why should I upgrade to W7 over XP if I'm rarely going to be using W7 just for the occasional business app? I mean I will if it comes down to it, but I don't really see why...

And I've played with it before, and it is nice.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have disk for XP already? Don't buy W7 if you already have Windows but in case you are looking to buy Windows, then get W7. XP is fine but I wouldn't spend money on it

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have a very stripped down version of winXP that is super fast in vmware and a full installation in bootcamp.
    The whole vmware installation is only a few hundred megs. Win7 will take a several GBs.

10. fobis macrumors member

With that sort of disk space, definitely WXP. W7 is nice, yes, but takes too much hard drive space, especially if you're only using it for one app.