XP or windows 7? Any suggestions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ferri1c, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Ferri1c macrumors member

What would be the best Windows OS for me to buy for a
    15-inch: 2.4GHz
    Intel Core i5
    4GB Memory
    320 GB hardrive?

I'll be using it mainly to run some online poker third party software that can only run with a windows OS. A pro on youtube said he decided to use XP for his MAC since it required less memory. However his article was in 2009, so I'm not sure if Windows 7 would be better and more up to date. I'll be using parallels as well.

My biggest concern is slowing up my computer or not having it run smooth. Should I get XP or windows 7? Please be specific. 32 or 64 bit, and what version, Home, Business, Ultra, etc.

Thank You in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Go with 7. XP is an old operating system that's going to be ten years old next year.

3. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

Should I get the 32 or 64 bit? I want my computer to be as fast and smooth as possible with the specs I have. I'm not even sure if the bit has anything to do with that.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

32 bit is faster for his specs.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

But he may up the RAM in the future.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The question no one has asked yet is what doe you plan to do with Windows. That will help direct which version and edition are right for you.

As I wrote in the guide: http://guides.macrumors.com/Choosing_which_version_of_Windows_7_to_install on any recent Mac the default answer should be Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit edition. Anything else requires justification.

B

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Although I'm sure it will upset balamw ;) , I think you should use XP, especially if you have an XP license sitting around. It will run faster, and it's better since you have simple card games. The install sizes is considerably smaller, about 4-5 GB vs a 10 GB windows 7 64-bit version. And I believe parallels should run faster with XP and windows 7.

That being said, now that I use windows 7 and vista for most of my computer usage, I hate the XP experience, even though it is faster on a mac laptop, because it's missing so many useful features like instant search and improve transitions.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. XP will be out of support soon. Windows 7 is the way forward.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It doesn't upset me at all.

XP is fine if it supports all the apps and hardware you will ever want to run. The problem is that it becomes harder and harder for that to be the case with a 10 year old OS. Most Macs ship with 4GB of RAM which is unsupported by any 32 bit version of Windows, and many newer software applications take advantage of Vista/7 features (e.g. DX10).

The point is that folks who don't already have an actual reason to run XP shouldn't. Like on the 2010 MBA it becomes more and more of a "project" that should only be reserved for folks who already know what they are doing.

Absolutely if your reason to install Windows on your Mac is only to support legacy apps then by all means install XP. Preferably in a VM. This is why the first question to ask isn't what the hardware is, but what the poster wants to do with Windows.

B

10. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

All I will be using the Windows OS for is only running at most 2 software programs while playing online poker. Unfortunately they dont make these poker software programs for a MAC OS. I'll be using Parallels when Im using these poker software programs. So it seems like WIN 7 64 bit would be the best if I understand correctly?

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Just for a poker program? Meh... I've changed my mind. XP. I was thinking if it was your full time OS.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I interpreted "I will be using Parallels as well" in that you wanted a shared Boot Camp/Parallels install.

If you will be using Parallels exclusively or at least more often than Boot Camp and will not be upgrading your RAM, then a 32 bit version would be preferable instead of 64 bit.

If your main use for windows is video poker + one or two supporting apps under Prallels, stick with whatever 32 bit version of Windows is recommended for that software.

If everything you need to do is supported under XP, and you already have a license you can transfer to the Mac, use that.

If you don't and all the apps support W7, get W7 Home Premium retail and install the 32 bit version. If you get the retail version you can always upgrade to 64 bit later if you ever want to use it in Boot Camp more or if you get more RAM and want to dedicate > 4GB to the VM.

B

13. pcunite macrumors member

If I may suggest, the default version should be Windows 7 Professional. In today's world, with computing becoming life or financially threatening, running your own operating system should be done with care.

Windows Professional (XP or Win 7) are the only SKU's that offer LUA+SRP modes of operation, something similar to Linux SELinux. This could be configured on your grandmother's PC and without any other security software installed, protect her and keep you from ever working on the system again.

When you take off out of the driveway in your car there are certain things that should be done, and while it's fun to put down Windows systems as being insecure, the truth is they are very secure, you just don't need a drunk behind the wheel. Do a little reading on what LUA+SRP is and you be amazed at what Windows has had for many years.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's a fair point, but the "mainstream" edition of Windows is still Home Premium and the guide is aimed at the mainstream home user. Since LUA+SRP are not enabled out of the box, even on Pro, it's doubtful most users would ever turn it on.

Personally I use Professional/Ultimate, but mainly for the need to be able to use RDP to connect to the boxes.

B

15. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

When I had 32-bit Windows 7 it wouldnt recognise all 4GB of my RAM, would only recognise 3GB.

If you want all 4, go with 64-bit.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Read the thread. The OP will be running Windows in a VM at least part of the time and will thus have to dedicate some RAM to OS X.

B

17. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for all the feedback. So then I will go with Windows 7 32 bit. The only time I will be using the windows OS is when I play poker so I can run some software programs. If I'm not playing poker then I will be only on the MAC OS.

18. doshirj macrumors newbie

I had 64 bit Windows 7 on a similar MacBook Pro that I could access with Bootcamp or Parallels. It worked well for me.

19. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

VirtualBox is a really good alternative to Parallels. It is free so you can give it a try before you buy Parallels.

20. XaPHER macrumors member

XaPHER

VB is unusable with directX. It creates problems with refreshing and some games and programs will not run at all.

When i had installed VMWare, all these problems were gone.

21. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

With Windows as guest? VirtualBox worked great for me for Ubuntu guest. I was not doing any gaming so that may be a factor for some people.