XP or Windows 7 in bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheBearman, Nov 13, 2009.

1. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Setting aside the temporary lack of support for Windows 7, I was wondering which I should install. I have a few older titles/games that I would like to use/play from time to time. All of them were designed for XP. I'm sure Windows 7 will more than likely run them fine, but is it really my best option?

I'm not planning to invest in any additional Windows software (at least that's the current plan). The cost is the same so I'm asking for opinions and comments from others.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Definitely 7. You can always run in XP compatibility mode.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't know why you would even consider an OS from 2001.

4. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

So would the 64 bit version of windows be the ideal version to install in a Core 2 Duo Intel Mac? I still have a hard time justifying putting windows on a Mac. I want to run away from Windows, not bring it with me. But I am sure the situation will come up where it will be convenient. And I have the full version of Windows 7 Ultimate so why not huh?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have three iMacs with Windows 7 on them (for gaming purposes). I choose 64 bit for the iMacs that had both 64bit CPUs and chipsets and 32 for the one that has a C2D but a 32bit chipset.

6. TheBearman thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, seems to me Vista was such a disaster. I guess my thought was that since most of the software I'm looking at is at least 2 years old (some as much as 4 years) I didn't see 7 as an advantage.

If what I'm hearing is true, that 7 can run anything XP could, then I don't see a problem with going to 7.

Thanks to all for the quick feedback/responses!

So now the question is.. 32 or 64 bit...

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Thank you! XP is a dinosaur. Windows 7 is your answer OP.

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

Windows 7 Pro with virtualized XP. I am just smitten with the way Win7 works. I would just go with 32 if you are virtualizing at all, odds are you would not toss more than 3GB RAM at it anyway...

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I concur with gotzero since your primary goal is to support old XP apps, I'd stay with 32 bit. Still install XP mode just in case.

If you can, make sure that the package you purchase comes with both 32 and 64 bit editions if you decide to switch and use Windows for more current apps at a later date.

B

10. TheBearman thread starter macrumors 6502

So what you're saying is buy the full retail version and not the 32 or 64 bit OEM versions like you find on NewEgg, right?

The full version seems to have the flexibility of selecting which bit level you prefer.