XP OSX - Computer to Computer Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robotica, Apr 3, 2008.

1. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Hello!

i am trying to set up a computer to computer wireless network.

I have managed to configure my XP PC for computer to computer wireless networking. Its shows up on my mac as a device in network connections.

I have managed to set-up WEP security and setup a passphrase and both machines are connected to each other.

I have manually set up different ips on each computer (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.4 on the other)

they are both also on the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    and i have also set them up to use the same DNS

now no matter what i do i cant get my mac connection to my PC's shared drives!

I have trying using "connect to server" then putting SMB://192.168.1.2 which when these two machines were connected via a router would connect it to a list of network shares on my XP machine and would let me select which one i wanted to open. Now it does nothing.. says cannot connect to server.

I have disabled the windows firewall on the wireless network adapter but still not joy :( boo

if any of you have any helpful info or useful incite into this problem please feel free to lend assistance :)

2. msheldrick macrumors regular

i can only get my pc's to show up on my mac if the workgroup name on the pc is "Workgroup"

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard