XP OSX - Computer to Computer Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robotica, Apr 3, 2008.

1. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Hello!

i am trying to set up a computer to computer wireless network.

I have managed to configure my XP PC for computer to computer wireless networking. Its shows up on my mac as a device in network connections.

I have managed to set-up WEP security and setup a passphrase and both machines are connected to each other.

I have manually set up different ips on each computer (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.4 on the other)

they are both also on the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    and i have also set them up to use the same DNS

now no matter what i do i cant get my mac connection to my PC's shared drives!

I have trying using "connect to server" then putting SMB://192.168.1.2 which when these two machines were connected via a router would connect it to a list of network shares on my XP machine and would let me select which one i wanted to open. Now it does nothing.. says cannot connect to server.

I have disabled the windows firewall on the wireless network adapter but still not joy :( boo

if any of you have any helpful info or useful incite into this problem please feel free to lend assistance :)

2. AstroHouse macrumors member

As a new Mac user I was impressed with the ease that my MBA connected to my PCs. Created shared folders blah, blah, blah and transfers to the Mac were effortless BUT I still can't work from the PC to the MBA.

I very interested in the sage advice offered here.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what is your Windows workgroup name? if it is anything other than the default "workgroup" add it in Network preferences in Advanced under "WINS".

do you have your drives shared and allowed users to modify its files? right click in the drive and click "sharing".

also do you have your router assign the PC a chosen IP over DHCP? i.e. is it always 192.168.1.2? type "ipconfig" into command prompt.

follow my guide here to share your public folder to a PC on your home network. you can share your whole hard disk to a PC by ticking your username under SMB in options for File Sharing preferences.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Can you ping the PC from the mac?

What did you set as DNS for both?

5. robotica thread starter macrumors 6502a

robotica

hello.

firstly many thanks for your input

I can ping the PC from my Mac

I have set the DNS to 62.31.64.39 and another to 62.31.128.39

Workgroup is set to EMP on both Mac and PC.

I have manually setup IP's DNS etc on both machines

Got 4 shared drives on the PC which i would like my mac to access.

I have just moved house, in the old house these computers were connected via a router and everything worked great. Now I no longer have a router. i will prob get one at some point in the future. but ive only got a PC and a Laptop, and i know this setup should work in theory??

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well thats probably the reason your having issues! you need a router to assign IPs to different computers so each computer knows how to access the other. the routers tells it.

7. robotica thread starter macrumors 6502a

robotica

Not if your setting up a computer to computer wireless network :) and have configured manually

8. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You are right, he router assigns the IP to each machine if you are using DHCP.
    If you manually set the IP (in a computer to computer connection) you should be alright.

So you manually set the IPs on each machine but why did you set the DNS? Are you sharing the internet connection? What does the address you gave correspond to (62.31.64.39 and another to 62.31.128.39)?

9. robotica thread starter macrumors 6502a

robotica

the DNS was a a bit random actually the second one i just made up but the first one was from a setting i had on my XBMC from the old network to allow internet connection sharing.

i am aware the DNS is used to share internet via the network, something i would be looking to setup at the same time as the file sharing.

My cable modem was just install like a few hours ago.. currently connected via my macbook ethernet but i would like to setup the PC with direct connection to the Modem via LAN and connect my macbook and PC wirelessly having the macbook have internet access and files from the PC.

edit- i have setup loads of networks in the past, this thing is truly causing some major head scratching.
    True they are usually windows to windows networks via a router but i am sure this is possible 100% might have to go out and buy a router just to save what little sanity i have left!

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Well, it is sure possible to do that, but I would do one thing at a time.

Here is a tutorial video with also a part on XP (if you are using it) to create a hotspot:

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-28619.html

Anyway, I don't think you need the DNS address in the wireless/airport settings but only in the ethernet settings of the computer that has the modem attached to. In the setup you want to use the mac should use DHCP for the airport so that it will get the settings from the PC.

11. robotica thread starter macrumors 6502a

robotica

Many thanks misterredman decided just to start a fresh and let windows/osx handle all dhcp stuff.

Followed the video tutorial and snap that was me :)

Wireless intenet and file sharing! I think i must have overcomplicated the problem then prob forgot to change the settings!

right now my next challenge add xbox with xbmc into the mix.

so i just got cable installed today ( was connecting via 3G for the last few weeks )

the new cable modem uses RJ45 or USB, its connected via RJ45 to XP Machine,
    now correct me if i am wrong but this is how I see the next part playing out.

Change modem from RJ45 connection to USB and hook up to XP
    this would free up the only RJ45 port in my computer which i would then connect the xbox to.
    I will then select allows uses to connect via this network connection thing for the USB cable modem.

now does that sounds like thats going to work? :)

12. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

So basially you are going to share the internet connection through wireless with the mac and through ethernet with the xbox?

I suggest you first set up your modem to work with USB on your PC. Then enable the hotspot and the internet connection sharing. Make sure it works with the mac and then hook up your xbox via the ethernet using DHCP.
    Don't think I will be able to help you much further with this, since I never owned an xbox. ;)

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You realise that WEP isn't particularly secure, and can have connection problems getting computers to connect to it.

I wouldn't, Windows isn't very good at sharing internet connections, unless you've already got most of the way down this route.

Though to be honest I'd just buy a router.

Enable Remote Access on the Mac (System Preferences>Sharing>Remote Login/Remote Access), and then use WinSCP on the PC, you have to remember the Mac's IP address (System Preferences>Network), but it always works, every damn time.