XP pc to Macbook Pro ICS via crossover help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Patrick J, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Hi everyone. I just got a new macbook pro, and while I am not at uni, I want to share my home computer's internet with it.

My ADSL router/modem is a Speedtouch 330.
    Quote from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedTouch_330)

Now, as I don't have an ethernet EXIT from the 330, I can't join it to my laptop. Also, replacing this modem for another router+modem is out of the question.
    As such, the only answer I could think of was doing ICS via my XP machine, through the ethernet port, into the MAC (The ethernet port is free on the Desktop, because the internet enters through USB).

However, I would like to run this though the forum to make sure I am right.

-I have a crossover ethernet cable, which is plugged into both the MBP and the desktop
    -On the desktop, I selected ICS sharing in the Advanced tab of the connection I use to connect to the internet.
    -I enabled the LAN network.

However, I am not sure what to do on the MAC at this point.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :apple:

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I think that should work. If I'm not mistaken, any new Macs that came with OS X 10.3 Panther or later have auto-sensing ethernet ports. This means that you don't need a crossover cable since the jack itself will reroute the individual wires through software.

Anyway, on the Mac side, all you have to do is go to System Preferences>Network and make sure you are getting a valid IP address from the XP machine. Everything should be automatic. If you have firewalls on the XP machine, make sure to setup some rules so that it doesn't interfere with the internet sharing.

3. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

My windows machine is old, can I still use a bridge connection?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a