XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro through VMWare?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Macloven, May 13, 2010.

1. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I'm presently running XP Pro through a virtual machine on VMWare 3. With the recent addition of a 500 gig drive, I'm now looking to run Win7 Pro as well and wondering if this is possible with Vmware?

the windows 7 version is retail, 32 and 64 bit Pro. I'll make the 32 v 64 bit decision once the software shows up and be installing it also as a virtual machine, not through bootcamp.

I've got 4 gig Ram, and figure there's no way I can run both virtual machines at the same time. But if I can run one or the other it would be very helpful in deciding on switching my office to Win7.

Thanks,

Mark

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, Fusion supports W7. I run W7 Ultimate 64 on my MBP and Pro 32 on my MB, and I find 32 runs a bit smoother in the the VM than 64, but that is probably due to the fact that I only have 4 GB of RAM split evenly between the VM and the host.

B

3. Macloven thread starter macrumors regular

Macloven

Thanks Balamw,

Do you know if i can safely have a virtual machine for both win versions on the same machine at the same time?

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. I run my Windows 7 boot camp VM alongside a Windows XP VM frequently.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yup. On my MB I have a dedicated Vista VM and my W7 Boot Camp partition VM, and on the MBP I have W7 Boot Camp in a VM as well as Ubuntu.

B

6. Macloven thread starter macrumors regular

Macloven

Excellent. I've been avoiding win7, as I believe many of my older app's won't run on it. But this way I can test and still have a machine that I know will run my important stuff at the same time.

That 500 gig drive is one of the smarter things I've done latey...should've done it a long time ago. Now I wish I could go above 4 gig ram.... :p

Thanks all!

Mark