XP Pro vs XP Pro 64bit on mac pro???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Jan 13, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi I want install windows xp on my mac pro... I have a windows xp pro, whats the diffrence between xp pro and xp pro 64bit edition??? what version is better for me and how know which version I have?

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The major difference between XP Pro 32-bit (x86) and XP Pro 64-bit (x64) is the amount of memory it can address. 32-bit can address a little over 3 GB of RAM, wheras the 64-bit can address up to 6 GB. That's the major difference I've seen (I used to have both on my PC, now I'm just on x64).

That's all I know - everything I use on XP x64 I haven't had too much of a problem with.

EDIT - the people in your identical thread under Windows on the Mac have more experience with programs then I have - stick with them.

3. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

My experience has been that the x64 version is much faster.... everything I've thrown at it has worked beautifully. I have 8gb in my MP and it sees every bit of it.

And gaming is just fine under xp 64 bit as well. I'm currently running windows 7 x64 which is interesting but it's definitely worth running the 64 bit version of whatever os you choose.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Seeing it and actually having access to it are two very different concepts on windows.

5. Ploki macrumors 68020

i use x64 also.
    but i only use it for games. :D
    its not ran much. few hours of runtime on this mac :)

6. kabelabs macrumors newbie

vista 64 is a better fit then xp64. plus with windows 7 around the corner, and the beta looks good so far.