XP Service Pack 3 on MAC Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by damir662, Jan 9, 2010.

1. damir662 macrumors newbie

Hi All.

I'm a new MAC user and would need to install XP on my MAC. I'm sure there are thousands of threads out there about this but I couldn't find one. I've tried installing with Boot Camp and got Disk Error. Realised I had Service Pack One. The CPU then wouldn't boot properly as it looked for the WIN CD later so I have to hold down the Option key every time I boot up. I now have XP Pro with SP3 and have partitioned the space (20gb). Just don't want to mess it up so I'll wait for a reply here.

BTW This Place Is Great!!!

Would appreciate an answer!

Damir
    EDIT: Installed win xp and still get the DISK ERROR message. Dont know what Im doing wrong. Please Help

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

When booted to Mac OS X, go to :apple: -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk, and select your Mac partition.

By the way, MAC is Media Access Control. Mac is Apple Macintosh.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Did you delete the Boot Camp partition and recreate it with Boot Camp Assistant? Did you print out the instructions and follow them?

A little more information might be helpful, like what Mac you have, what OS you are using, etc. and a blow by blow of what you have done.

We will try to walk you through it.
    XP SP3 should be fine.

Edit: If your problem is only booting, what BlueRevolution has posted will solve your issue for OSX. If you are still having trouble installing XP, we need more info.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. damir662 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out. What I was doing wrong is that I quickformatted the HDD instead of doing a "proper" format. After I've done that everything worked fine. I now only have two issues. One is that I, for some reason, can't use the wireless keyboard and mouse, although they're detected? The other is that some apps (transmission) show up on the desktop as a mounted image when I start them. I have them in the dock but I don't know why they show up on the desktop when I start them.

Thanks for the help guys!

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you installed the Boot Camp drivers from your restore disks?

You have to install them by dragging the applications from the disk images the the applications folder. You can then eject the disk image and throw away the .dmg file.

6. damir662 thread starter macrumors newbie

Boot Camp drivers have been installed and the bluetooth manager sees both the mouse and the keyboard however, for some reason they can't communicate. I've tried to do it both with and without passkey but still failing.

Im sure these are all "stupid" questions but I've been a PC user since 15yrs so this is all new to me :)

Took me ages to burn a .iso today but at least it got done in the end.

Thx again

EDIT: App thing fixed. I didn't read carefully what you said. Drag the app to APPLICATIONS then eject and delete. I just draged it to the dock.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Unfortunately, I don't have any Bluetooth devices, so I can't really help you there.

8. damir662 thread starter macrumors newbie

no problem. It's not that much of an issue really. Appreciate all the help regarding the apps problem!

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not having a functional mouse and keyboard isn't a big issue?