XP SP3 stop DHCP working properly

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chinesewhispers, Jul 6, 2010.

Hi there

We have some Education iMacs that I am having some problems with.

XP can be fully up to date (except SP3) without any problems, they are connected to the domain, get an IP address, correctly sync time and process group policy settings at a computer level prior to the logon screen. All this is using the ethernet port (not wireless).

As soon as SP3 is applied, they don't get a DHCP address until after login, therefore they don't sync time, process policies etc. If I uninstall SP3, back to working.

I have reproduced this several times on different Macs (we have about 90 that are exhibiting this). Tried different version of bootcamp drivers.

If I reserve the address in DHCP, it doesn't make a difference. I seem to only have 2 options:

1. Manually enter an IP address in Windows (this is too time consuming)

2. Leave SP3 off (this means WSUS 3.0 SP2 won't work)

Anybody any ideas? Is there a newer ethernet driver outside the bootcamp package?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are you doing Boot Camp with 10.5 or 10.6? I recall having to install a Boot Camp update on the Windows side prior to installing XP Service Pack 3 if running 10.5...Try running the Boot Camp 2.1 update before installing the service pack.