XP SP3 won't install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sundance2007, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Sundance2007 macrumors regular

I am running Win. XP with SP2 via Bootcamp on my Macbook. Haven't had any real problems except it downloads SP3 and tells me it's ready to install. I click the yellow shield and tell it to install and after a short time of it seeming to installing the SP I get an error saying the install has failed. The error says something to the effect I need x MB of space to install the SP but there is only 4 MB available. There is over 20+ GB of space free on the Win partition.

Does anyone know what is going on here and how to get it past this and to install SP3?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Also should I maybe defrag. the Win partition? Does one need to defrag. the Mac partition(not relationg to this problem, just as a general housekeeping task)

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

This is a known issue. I don't recall the fix off the top of my head, but a Google search will return plenty of hits on the workaround.

3. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Found what I need and it installed just fine.

What about defrag. is it needed with a Mac?

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Nope,OS X auto defrags files under 20mb and as thats 99.99% of all the files on your HDD its not worth it

5. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

hi, what was this fix? as im about to install SP3 soon here on my Bootcamp XP drive.

thanks

6. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

You if you download and install the newest version of Bootcamp through Apple Update on windows and SP3 will install.

7. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

what about using a dedicated SP3 Install disc that already has SP3 on it?

has anyone ever done that yet?