Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvkid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
I installed XP on my new iMac a few weeks ago and was playing around with it because I happened to have XP install discs from my Dell sitting there tempting me. Now I am getting a message saying that I have only 16 days left to use XP before it must be registered or validated or something of that nature. Out of curiosity, does that mean that XP will refuse to boot after that time? Will it have any effect on my ability to boot my Mac?

Thanks.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You have 30 (I think) days in which to "activate" XP. It's a copy-protection measure that sends back information about your hardware, to ensure that you don't install the same copy on multiple computers. Once the 30 days have expired, you won't be able to run XP until you activate, but OS X will not be affected.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
ive had this same problem with a dell cd. Tried entering the cd key thats on the bottom of my dell laptop and enter it into the activate windows thingy but it still comes back and tells me to activate it. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Ive never had this problem with xp before so i just dont know :confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
How do they know you are not running a dell if you call over the phone?

Perhaps just the fact that the pre-authorization didn't work...

Anyhow, there have been plenty of reports that the phone call gets it going fine, even if that would seem to be against the EULA.

B

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
you are within your rights to run the dell copy on your mac as long as you remove the copy from your dell. They make you call because they already have that cd key register on their server. You call them and tell them what happen and they usually give you an authorization code. Otherwise there is no way to crack the 30 day thing.

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
^ Actually, such OEM copies of Windows XP are only licensed to be used on the computer with which they were sold. Retail licenses are the only ones that legally permit a transfer. It's been like this since before XP, but the old licensing scheme (without product activation) didn't incorporate any concrete way of actually enforcing it.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061017-8008.html <- search the page for "OEM license for Windows"

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Actually, such OEM copies of Windows XP are only licensed to be used on the computer with which they were sold.
While that is the way I also interpret the EULA in that no OEM license (especially not one from Dell) grants you any transfer rights, many have reported that they have called the number, explained the situation and still been given an activation code.

I can only surmise from this that Microsoft ignores their own EULA just as much as many end-users do, so it's worth the call if you think you're within your rights.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.