Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxxx85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hello Im very new to the MAC OS X. I want to use Boot camp to use a few programs that are only microsoft compatible. How do I go about doing this. I have the XP disc, Windows XP Proffesional. However I don't know if it has Service pack 2 included into the disc or if I need it. Can someone give me some advice.

Thanks alot!

Maxxx85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Sorry just saw on the XP disc it says Service Pack 2 included lol..so now all I have to do is install the disc reboot then install the two discs that came with my MBP?

Maxxx85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Really need the help...was going to instal it before i had to start working. Thanks again in advance!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
After you have partitioned the disk, it will restart your Mac and then you pop in the XP disk and let Windows do its thing. The bootcamp drivers are installed after XP installs. Just pop your first (I think) OSX disk in when you are under Windows and you should see the drivers there.

Maxxx85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Sometimes I feel Mac may be just too easy to use lol...thanks for the quick help man I appreciate it alot. anything else I need to know?

Maxxx85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
it just keeps going through the installing XP process (wont let me eject the disc either)...what should i do?

Maxxx85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I think i got it. I kept hitting "Leave system files intact" and i needed to use NTFS. Lets see what happens now lol.

Maxxx85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
So I got windows up and running on the mac, everything worked out pretty easy when i read through the "Boot Camp Assistant". I don't know why though its saying I have 30 days to register my windows if i already put the key code in. Im only going to use windows for my music editing program. I don't intend to go online with my windows unless its a game or something, don't need to catch any viruses lol. I may go online to play some games but not often. My question is now that I'm running windows is the mac vulnerable to viruses and threats?

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
So I got windows up and running on the mac, everything worked out pretty easy when i read through the "Boot Camp Assistant". I don't know why though its saying I have 30 days to register my windows if i already put the key code in. Im only going to use windows for my music editing program. I don't intend to go online with my windows unless its a game or something, don't need to catch any viruses lol. I may go online to play some games but not often. My question is now that I'm running windows is the mac vulnerable to viruses and threats?

If you are using broadband, I would suggest that you install a firewall and an antivirus software before connecting an ethernet cable since it takes just a few seconds to have your computer invaded if you are in Windows. It doesn't have anything to do with having it on a Mac- it's still a Windows installation. The Mac side is a separate installation and should not be affected by anything that you catch in Windows. It's actually better to have each OS installed on different hard drives rather than on different partitions of the same drive.
You will have to activate windows or it will stop working but you could do that over the phone instead of the internet.
A router will have a firewall built in to it but you may want to add a third party firewall since the Windows firewall is not very secure. Zone Alarm makes a decent free one. You can disable the Windows firewall after the third party firewall is up and running.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Music editing program?? I would highly suggest that you use Mac OS X for your music editing. More than 90% of the world's musicians run Mac OS X for music recording and many of the programs for music recording and editing are designed and optimized for Mac. Unless there's something REALLY special about the program you are using I would recommend you use your Mac for this.

I noticed earlier you said you did not have enough paper to print out the bootcamp instructions, well you don't have to with a Mac. Just attempt to print anything and when the print driver appears look to the bottom left corner where it says "PDF" and click it and save to PDF. You can save anything to PDF on a Macintosh since it's PDF based. Don't waste paper.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.