XP via both Boot Camp and Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hmac, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Hmac macrumors 68020

On my mac pro, I have Windows XP partitioned by Parallels. That works fine for most of what I need Windows for, but for gaming I need to run Windows XP via Boot Camp.

I'm not too worried about the disk space on my Mac Pro, which has 2 TB of storage, but I just bought a MacBook Pro and that will only have 160 gig.

To run XP via both Parallels and Boot Camp, do I actually need two partitions, or can I run the Windows XP virtual machine from Parallels using the XP on the Boot Camp partition?

And...if I am running Windows XP on the same machine in two different partitions, will I need two separate licenses?

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

you can run your boot camp partition in parallels and do not need 2 licenses

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Parallels will run from the BC partition as if it were a Parallels bottle. I do this constantly, and actually boot directly into Windows less & less all the time.

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i actually run my boot camp partition with fusion and have been booting directly into windows more and more as i use windows mainly for one game... once my job starts up in january i may be using fusion more since i'll have a need for microsoft office again... regardless i enjoy the ability of running windows natively or virtually... i found it much more valuable than running windows only virtually and having the ability to suspend and open the virtual machine quicker

5. Hmac thread starter macrumors 68020

I appreciate the responses. When the MacBook Pro arrives on Monday, it sounds like I should set up a Boot Camp partition and install a new version of XP first, then install Parallels and get it to make a virtual machine based on the OS on the Boot Camp partition?

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Yes but make sure not to activate until after you've installed parallels and got it to work with the bootcamp partition!

7. Hmac thread starter macrumors 68020

Good tip!

8. beerelf macrumors newbie

Is this also the case with vmware fusion?

9. apcpa2000 macrumors member

apcpa2000

Also curios if I really even need to use bootcamp? All I will be using Fusion for is Quicken, cryptmagic for my blackberry, and my VPN for work.

Any thoughts?

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

BootCamp has its uses, but in your case I'd say Parallels or VMware is fine…

11. Hmac thread starter macrumors 68020

The only reason I use Boot Camp is because 3D gaming via Parallels is not really viable. For everything else I need Windows for at home, Parallels works perfectly well, and in fact is substantially faster at those non-gaming functions than the last PC I built for gaming.

On this laptop, I'm anticipating I will need to actually boot into Windows to access my server files at work...hence the anticipated need for Boot Camp.

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You'll be able to access them through VM Ware or Parallels just as well as with bootcamp.

13. Hmac thread starter macrumors 68020

Good, thanks.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry to revive an old thread, but is there anyway to do this AFTER you have activated?? i installed parallels the other day and im scared that if i start up the VM it will recognise it as different hardware and whatnot.

15. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

This is something that I have been curious about for awhile. I am planning on installing Windows Vista Home Premium on a new 1TB HD in my mac pro and in addition buying a copy of VMware Fusion. Based on what had been posted in this thread, and please tell me if I am incorrect, I should install windows to my new HD but not activate it, then install VMware fusion on the mac partition, and then after that activate my copy of windows on the bootcamp HD. Another question, as I have never used VMware fusion, how does it know that I want to use the Windows install from the bootcamp hard dive? Thanks and I hope you can help me as well as the thread starter with our questions.

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Fusion auto detects the windows partition you just point it too it & it runs off of it, some people when doing this don't need activate windows twice should you need to here is how you do it

1 install windows and activate under bootcamp

2 boot, bootcamp volume under fusion

3 install tools

4 reboot the VM

5 activate windows under fusion

if you run into activation issues and windows wont activate under fusion just use the toll free number to ring microcrap and tell them you have upgraded the hardware and you need a new code ( just make sure you tell them your reinstalling it on the same machine )

hope this helps

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thanks for the speedy reply!!

i am still confused by your post. i already have bootcamp installed, activated and running (had it going for a good year). i just installed fusion and it detects the bootcamp drive...
    now if i boot the VM, will it stuff up the activation? my keycode has run out aswell so im REALLY desperate hahaha.

18. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

What are you confused about? yes it may stuff up activation but it might not, that is why you MUST install the tools before activating again under fusion

If it does require another code under fusion it'll tell you, you then ring M$ on the toll free number given and tell them you have had to reinstall because of a hardware upgrade ie logicboard and could you have another code ( you must make sure you tell them its on the same machine)

it doesn't matter how long you have windows installed prior to installing fusion

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im confused about it maybe stuffing up the activation, but maybe not.

thats a very good idea about the logic board! its so crazy that it might just work!!!

thanks for your help i am definately going to get it up and running now mwahahahahaha

20. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

That trick isn't crazy man as loads of people have posted about this issue and its the done thing, the tools are supposed to sort that out but like i said if it doesn't for any reason just ring them up stating you have upgraded the hardware and require a new code

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i know it isnt crazy, i was just freaking out because its my last "real" valid code. aahh there are always ways around things.

meh i tried it and it wouldnt boot with vmware, it just gives this "b0" (zero) error on the screen... a completely black screen with "b0". haha how pathetic.

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'm sorry but i haven't come across this error, have you tryed going on VMWare's site ? as there are support pages