XP, Vista or Windows 7 in bootcamp on MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nph, Sep 19, 2009.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

What Windows OS is best? I want something that works give me long (as possible) battery life and doesn't take too much space.
    What do you recommend?

Thanks

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Do Windows 7. By far the best. XP runs fast but has security issues. Windows 7 is fast and secure. Still has all the features too.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Windows 7. XP is getting dated, and Windows 7 is just as fast, and has had more work put into making it stable and secure.

4. SMC1991 macrumors member

Another vote for 7.

Xp is antiquated, and there's no reason to use Vista over 7.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Vista or 7 if you have SSD
    XP for HDD.

XP isn't optimized for SSD drives and you'll run into performance problems.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not only is Windows 7 practically free at the moment, it's fast and good to use. XP is a bit old in many ways; still a good OS. Vista is good too (I like it and never had problem), but 7 is what Vista should have been.

7. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies, seems W7 is the way to go. I read it takes 14 G of HD space and that is at a premium on the MBA, Anyway to do what we do with OS X and minimize the install?
    Either during the installation or after? I cant imagine all 14 G is needed, or?

8. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Not quite in agreement.
    I've been using win xp professional for many years now. I've yet to find any software which isn't compatible. It is not an hungry OS. I'm still running it on a 2003 vintage Dell Latitude 600, with a Centrino 1.6 Ghz processor, 512 Mb ram and 20 Gb HD. Plenty of space and speedness.
    About security: if it's an original licensed version keep it up to date and it'll work flawlessly. And use a free antivirus (I use Avira).
    Vista is crap. Win 7 people say it's better, however it won't be compatible with several old software and hardware. And I'm sure it'll require more space and hardware than XP.

9. aussie.damo macrumors regular

Definitely Windows 7. I run it via BootCamp and it's very nice.

Windows XP is small, stable and reliable; however, Windows 7 offers some nice enhancements over it that make it worthwhile going to. As others have said, it's what Vista should have been. Since it's so good, it's likely more people will adopt it, meaning Windows XP will become even more obsolete.

Damo

10. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

XP has been quite stable for me.
    I'm not a big fan of bootcamp and run XP under VMware Fusion. Have 9GB allocated and have office, Visio & Quicken running in the virtual machine. Memory set to 640mb and it runs as fast as my Dell D610.
    One nice thing about running in a VM is that if you use a backup utility such as SuperDuper!, you're also backing up your Windows system.
    As far as minimizing your Mac OS space.. Snow Leopard. You mention 14GB for Win 7.. what about applications & data?

11. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I want to minimize the OS to make space for Apps and data. Therefor when I read that the OS itself takes 14 Gig in Win7 it makes me concerned.

Can I make a smaller system install of Win7?

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My windows 7 is about 6GB total after updates. But the inital install will be big then smaller later on when you disable the preinstalled programs

13. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, need to show my windowsignorance...:eek:

How do I do that and what programs could be candidates for that?

Thanks again

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Anything in the "Programs and Features"

15. charliex5 macrumors regular

I got a netbook with XP on it but loaded 7 on it when it became available as a beta. 7 was noticeably faster and smoother. I also had OSX on it and again, noticeably smoother (I realize OSX wasn't optimized for the netbook, but interesting nonetheless).

16. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Problem is that nothing shows up under program features... So does that mean I am stuck with 14Gigs?

In OS X there are tons of stuff you could remove, languages and printers.
    Anything similar in Windows 7?

/Peter