XP vs. Vista - A Tale of Framerates

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 4np, May 9, 2007.

1. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

HardOCP has reviewed several games and has compared the framerates on both Windows XP and Windows Vista. As it turns out; when looking at framerates, one could better stick with Windows XP, at least for now... Especially as people keep reporting difficulties with running vista in bootcamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

source: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzNCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

2. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

While XP does have higher framerates, I can say that I have not noticed any difference while gaming in Doom3, Prey, Fear, Farcry...etc. The framerates are still higher than what would be slow enough to be visibly jerky or feeling laggy.

I think the only time the framerate thing really matters is if a system is on the verge of being playable...then losing some FPS would make it unplayable.

My 2 cents worth :)

3. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

IMO th fps don't matter anymore as soon it is above 30 fps

4. slayr-cxf50 macrumors member

Woah, ANOTHER reason not to upgrade. There's a surprise.

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

These tests don't hold water for me. They fail to include the driver version they are using for each OS. The nVidia driver for XP would be 8x.xx or 9x.xx whereas he Vista driver would be 10x.xx.

It is my guess that they have used an early version of the Vista driver. In my testing, the lastest Vista driver gives me scores that equal my XP scores and at times exceeds them.