XP vs Win 7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rasmusDoh, Mar 9, 2010.

1. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Hey

Gotta use some Windows software on my MBP, so i'll need to install either XP or Win 7..

Seems like XP requires quite a bit less memory. It doesn't have the look and some of the functions of Win 7 though, but i really don't think i'll need those very much, with Mac OS X being my primary OS.

On Win 7, however, i found (on my PC) MSE fine for security. With XP i guess i'd need some extra protection software.

So what'd you suggest?

Also, can you please also suggest a lightweight efficient anti-virus program for use with XP?

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personally, if you don't need the bells and whistles of Win7 and XP will do the job, I would run XP with Fusion and skip the Bootcamp

The 3 AVs I am aware of are Avast, Avira and AVG
    Not sure if they work with XP or not, but you can check them out (free)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AVG works great on XP. I haven't tried the others.

4. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Just gotta ask.. The reason i need anti-virus in Windows is so it doesn't **** up the Windows partition or image, right? As i understand it can never hurt Mac OS X!?

The reason i considered BootCamp was the fact that some of the Windows programs i need are a bit heavy.

Since XP itself doesn't require a lot of RAM to virtualize - would that mean that i could assign a bit more RAM than it needs and thus be able to run these somewhat heavier programs - without it getting terribly slow - in Fusion?

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Don't worry about Win diseases affecting your OSX partition...

I use Avast and AVG quite a bit but I'm starting to use more and more Microsoft's free AV "Security Essentials"...

I run both XP and 7 in Fusion VMs and they each have 1GB of RAM assigned...I find them very efficient...

Cheers.

-J-

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Microsoft Security Essentials is great. I used to use ESET Nod 32 (lightweight) but unfortunately you have to pay a hefty fee for the licence. Use Security Essentials: it's free and efficient

7. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

There's no MSE for XP - are there?

And theITguy -> May i ask, why you use both XP and Win 7?

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yes there is, in fact, I just downloaded it about 2 hours ago for a new employee's laptop I was setting up. Works fine in XP.

9. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, nice!

Though there wasn't since i never knew about the program until installing Win 7..

Anyway, thanks! :D

10. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I use both to test different things...we haven't moved to 7 at work yet officially...so I must have an XP image to run some legacy apps...

Also I like to play with many OSes...XP and 7 and OSX 10 are great...Vista not so much :D

-J.-