XP won't connect to AirPort if using WEP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoCubsGo, Jan 8, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have an AirPort Extreme (MA073LL/A) that has replaced my Linksys wireless router. On the Linksys I had nothing more than WEP security enabled and SSID broadcasting turned off. I ordered the AirPort and plugged it in giving it the same security (for lack of better words) as the Linksys had just to ensure the AirPort worked. It did, my iPhone, Vonage, and Wii connected fine. My Windows XP laptop from work did not. Under properties of the wireless network it kept defaulting to WPA2 security regardless of how many times I set the security to WEP. It would connect but then disconnect and I was unable to VPN into my office network. I figured I would simply submit to the darn thing and change the security to WPA2 anyway since I should not be using WEP but I don't get why it won't let me connect using WEP.

The bigger issue is that I am not sure my iPhone or Wii can connect using WPA2 though I haven't yet tried. I only just got the work laptop to connect.

Any thoughts on why XP suddenly decided it only wanted WPA2 security on the Airport rather than allowing WEP security previously on the Linksys?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anything to do with how bad WEP is as a secure protocol these days? Crackable within a minute or two, WPA is the better option if your devices can play nice with it.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The Wii and iPhone can both connect via WPA2.