Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
Hi

In the question really - am going to install Vista 64 Business on my Mac Pro (currently using XP Pro 32) and wonder if I can use Windows to upgrade itself (thereby keeping my apps / games intact), or whether I should clean it out and do a full install in bootcamp from scratch?

Happy with either really - advice appreciated.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Never ever ever ever ever upgrade. Upgrading is ALWAYS a bad idea, doesn't matter which OS it's for. Always do a clean install.

But it doesn't matter because you have to anyway. You can't upgrade from a 32 to 64 bit OS.

Short answer: clean install.

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
Thanks - had an inkling that would be the case. Not a problem as no saved data to speak of.

I will wipe the entire drive that I use for Windows I think, then start again. I have no partition (just use a different drive) so it will be easy...um...hopefully.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
As stated it isn't possible to upgrade from anything 32bit to x64. The Setup.exe file is a 64bit executable which will not run under 32bit Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.