XP64 and boot camp issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pierre1610, Feb 4, 2009.

1. pierre1610 macrumors member

Is this the reason boot camp won't install on xp64?

I mean i know its not supported which is why it won't install but all i need is the bootcamp64.msi file to run and put everything in the correct place.

I tried extracting the .msi and copy kbdmgr.exe to program files and all the other folders to system32. Didn't work.

If i try and run kbdmgr.exe it crashes straight away. I tried the one LAMO produced for windows 7 and it runs but doesn't do anything. The process is there but the icon doesn't pop up in the taskbar and i can't access anything.

I've got everything installed in terms of drivers but am missing the keyboard shortcuts to adjust screen brightness.

I had vista x64 installed but its soooooo slow.

Any help could be greatly appreciated.

cheers

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

XP 64 is failure. There are almost no drivers for it. Do not use it.

Unfortunately,
    Vista 64 bit > xp 64 bit

3. pierre1610 thread starter macrumors member

Its not a failure in a CG production enviroment, far from it. Its what everyone uses. It does all i need it to do. I don't care if i can't print from it. Its a god send being able to asign more than 2gb of ram per application and compared to vista64 its far quicker

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You probably won't have luck running it on a Mac. Not Mac, but you might also look at Windows Server 2003, since it has 64-bit as well, and may have drivers where XP64 might not. Although, I suspect the drivers are the same since I recall they use the same service packs.