Xpad instead of Stickies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse, Apr 11, 2007.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I was wondering how many people now use Xpad and does the fact that it's totally free mean it's going to go out of date one day, or does anyone know if it has support?

There's a lot of Stickies "replacements" with better Stickies navigation = a tidier desktop. But will any of these guys LAST? And will mac support a Stickies upgrade including these functions in Xpad, like single window browsing of all stickies etc? Another one I was asking about here is Voodoopad, but the thing is that seems to be a one man band as well.

Is mac going to upgrade Stickies to have these great linking features, or do I have to go through with the bother of switching to another thang that might one day no longer be relevant? I have LOTS of stuff to file and switch over... I don't want to do it very often, and yet I am tired of half my desktop being covered in stickies.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

It depends what you want to use the program for. A few I suggest you have a look at are:

Yojimbo
    Journler
    iGTD
    SideNote

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I used to use xPad a while back and while I liked it, I never thought it was really the "Stickies replacement" it's billed as.

It's more of a replacement for TextEdit to me than it is for Stickies. As you point out, it's no longer being developed, so, yes, it will be out of date eventually. The developer said that he was going to release the source for xPad at one point, but I don't believe he's managed to do that yet. You might see a small community build up around xPad when he does that, but until then, you're stuck with what's there.

I wouldn't expect Apple to "upgrade" Stickies. It's intended to be a simple app with little overhead, which is exactly what it is. If you need features like linking and stuff like that, you likely need a different program.

4. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Thanks for all your comments.

Are any of the above free open source for the mac, or purchase programs?

Has anyone used http://wikinotes.mug-linz.at/

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

They're all pretty much freeware/donationware except for Yojimbo.