Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I highly doubt it would work since if you put the coolpad on top of the stand there will no be nothing but friction keeping your computer from slipping (since probably the xpad will keep the laptop base higher than the little slope the stand has to avoid laptops from slipping) and the 4 grill looking thingys in the corcers seem to be made of polished metal (again not of big help if you do not want friction)
In the otherside probably it will be pointless (not help with heat) since from the picture it seams that the computer only enters in contact with the four corner thingys which in top of that have holes on it therefore there will not be much dissipation, so i guess the whole point of that pad is to raise the computer off a surface to allow an air space (thing that your stand already does) or alternative to use on your lap.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I highly doubt it would work since if you put the coolpad on top of the stand there will no be nothing but friction keeping your computer from slipping (since probably the xpad will keep the laptop base higher than the little slope the stand has to avoid laptops from slipping) and the 4 grill looking thingys in the corcers seem to be made of polished metal (again not of big help if you do not want friction)
In the otherside probably it will be pointless (not help with heat) since from the picture it seams that the computer only enters in contact with the four corner thingys which in top of that have holes on it therefore there will not be much dissipation, so i guess the whole point of that pad is to raise the computer off a surface to allow an air space (thing that your stand already does) or alternative to use on your lap.

hmm i see your point thanks dude.

i do like to keep my computer as cool as possible. any one have any suggestions for a cooling station that could work with the logitech stand im using.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
hmm i see your point thanks dude.

i do like to keep my computer as cool as possible. any one have any suggestions for a cooling station that could work with the logitech stand im using.
I can see that, that stand is almost $200!
at what temp is your cpu? (usually)

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I can see that, that stand is almost $200!
at what temp is your cpu? (usually)

right now its running at 54 C. so its staying pretty cool anyway. i dunno i just want to get it into the 30's. i used to have a PC that i used for gaming with liquid cooling when i was in high school. i know how important keeping it cool can be to prolonging the life.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
right now its running at 54 C. so its staying pretty cool anyway. i dunno i just want to get it into the 30's. i used to have a PC that i used for gaming with liquid cooling when i was in high school. i know how important keeping it cool can be to prolonging the life.

These things run pretty hot, but if its life is what worries you, then I would not worry too much for one side they are designed to run as hot as an stove, for the other the more you spend in trying to keep it cool the less you have for your next one, I say just save your money, if your computer dies a couple of months before you were going to get a replacement then you will anyway have more money because you were saving.
Uhm and btw 54 is not that bad, mine is a t 56 right now and I am doing nothing and fans are at 2K (the minimun I presume since I have never seen them slower)

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
These things run pretty hot, but if its life is what worries you, then I would not worry too much for one side they are designed to run as hot as an stove, for the other the more you spend in trying to keep it cool the less you have for your next one, I say just save your money, if your computer dies a couple of months before you were going to get a replacement then you will anyway have more money because you were saving.
Uhm and btw 54 is not that bad, mine is a t 56 right now and I am doing nothing and fans are at 2K (the minimun I presume since I have never seen them slower)

yea i know that they can run pretty hot for a good amount of time. but i've just always tried to keep them as cool as possible. its a piece of mind thing i guess haha. but your right i will try and let it go for this one.

but if i find a cheap cooling station that actually has fans im going to get and i dont wanna hear any complaints from you about it!! OK!!!hahaha;)<-------sarcasm btw ha

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
yea i know that they can run pretty hot for a good amount of time. but i've just always tried to keep them as cool as possible. its a piece of mind thing i guess haha. but your right i will try and let it go for this one.

but if i find a cheap cooling station that actually has fans im going to get and i dont wanna hear any complaints from you about it!! OK!!!hahaha;)<-------sarcasm btw ha

I was actually "this close" to buy one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834999220
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...olpad&lp=8&type=product&cp=1&id=1218013136549

but after I bought my ssd I decided I do not want any other source of noise in my bedroom (right now everything is so quiet!) and for the x-stand I desisted of the idea when at the checkout I found shipping was almost $10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.