XProtect file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jvpython, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jvpython macrumors 6502

I hear that there is a file in Mac OS X that has a list of "non-trusted software". I was just curious to see if I could find it. But it is nowhere to be seen in the system. Any one know anything about it?
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.plist

3. jvpython thread starter macrumors 6502

That's it thanks!

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You can use also Find Any File, to find such "invisible" files.

5. GGJstudios, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Or you can use Finder, which is built-in to Mac OS X, except Xprotect.plist is not an invisible file. It's a file embedded in the contents of the CoreTypes.bundle file, which is not invisible, either, but rather a System File.

6. jvpython thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I tried searching it in spotlight before but since, as you said, the file is in a bundle it doesn't show up in spotlight.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In this case, you can't find the file directly in a search. You have to know it's in the .bundle, then Show Package Contents. You don't use Spotlight if you're searching for System Files. Use Finder. Refer to the following link to learn how to search for System Files in Finder. Spotlight won't search the Library folders.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I wrote "invisible" not invisible. Learn to read! Thank you! ;)

Btw, you can try Spotlight, and you will see that the file is "invisible" (at least here), so i recommended a different utility "Find Any File".

:rolleyes:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All 4 are the same word. Invisible files are hidden files. System files are system files. There is a clear distinction. The terms are not interchangeable.
    The file is not invisible. You cannot use Spotlight to search for invisible or System files. You have to use Finder, which can search for such files quite well, without the need for any 3rd party app.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

And?

I thought you did see the quotes around "invisible". Do you think i use the quotes for no reason? Have you a problem to recognize them?