iPhone XR XR color shift/blurry fonts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adoeete, Nov 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Adoeete, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

Adoeete macrumors newbie

Ok. I'm actually having a hard time because of the XR's color shifting display and blurry fonts. It's definitely better than XS or XS MAX's color shifting, but XR does have color shifting issue. It makes my vision fuzzy, because sometimes some portion of the display is darker than the other or some are warmer or colder and on and on. It is subtle, so it's more problematic.

This is my second XR and I'm just starting to realize that every XR might have the same issue. I noticed that all the XR in the Apple store have the same issue with the different degrees. Personally, this condition makes me unable to read the text on the device. It's too distracting to the point of causing a fuzziness in my vision and also makes the fonts look blurry. I'm not exaggerating. I blamed it for low resolution of 326 ppi for long time until i compare it to the iPhone 8(not even 8+), and iPhone 8's display was like a clean paper with dark black ink on them.

I'm torn apart because I really like this phone. its speaker quality is like a macbook level(favorite part), the camera is great, new face id is seamless and the size is perfect in my hand. Coming from SE, 6.1 screen is like heaven... But the reading experience is like hell.
    Does anyone have the same issue at all?

2. Yogosans14 macrumors regular

Same I came from a 8+ to XR and the 8+ had a superior display. This is going back for the XS ASAP. The blurry fonts/text is so dissaponitjng to me but everything else’s about this phone is awesome. Oh well you get what you pay for I’ve learned my lesson only going for the premium OLED models from now on.

3. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

You need to read thru other posts about the same thing. There have been many. See below here for example.

4. thewhitetower macrumors regular

thewhitetower

Could it be FaceiD that’s causing this discomfort in your eyes?

5. Adoeete, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

Adoeete thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm.. haven’t thought about that. If the Faceid detection beam is always on, even when we are web browsing, it could be the one of the reason. But my main discomfort comes from the weird display color variation all over the place. Slight tilting of a device makes all sort of subtle color and brightness changes. Frustrating.

6. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

You may want to swap it out, because I don't see color variations when I slightly tilt my screen like that. I don't know maybe I am just one of those folks that look at my phone straight on all the time so I never noticed it.

7. hr10 macrumors regular

Going back to X
    I thought I am ok with the screen but color just not as vibrant
    A little wash out
    If I am not comparing I guess I will get used to it but the missing portrait mode on objects kill the deal for me

8. Adoeete thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm planning to swap it. If it fails me again, i'm just gonna settle for 8.

9. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Have you looked at a few display units?

It's likely panel lottery like every
    Other iPhone

10. now i see it macrumors 68040

Just for a test to rule out Face ID. Switch the display to grayscale (Accessibility) and read a whole bunch of text. See if that fixed it. If it does, get rid of the XR & get an 8.

11. Adoeete thread starter macrumors newbie

That’s a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I’ll try.