Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
My daughters iPhone 7+ has the dreaded IC chip issue so I need to get her a new phone nice apple won’t fix a known issue with their devices. I was going to get her an IP8+ as the price just dropped but then saw for only $50 more k can get her an Xr, which is what I have. I would get her AppleCare as she is more likely to drop her phone than I am.

Now I’m wondering if I give her my Xr (which does have AppleCare) and I buy myself the 11 for $100 more. I wouldn’t get AC as I will keep it in a heavy duty case. Plus Apple says they made the glass stronger this year (yeah right).

For the $100 more I get the faster chip (who cares), better camera (I like), 4GB of ram vs 3GB (I multitask a lot so I assume this would help) and an extra hour of batter life. Wondering if I am justifying spending more money then I really have to just to get a new device... thoughts?

harryisere

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Bristol, United Kingdom
My daughters iPhone 7+ has the dreaded IC chip issue so I need to get her a new phone nice apple won’t fix a known issue with their devices. I was going to get her an IP8+ as the price just dropped but then saw for only $50 more k can get her an Xr, which is what I have. I would get her AppleCare as she is more likely to drop her phone than I am.

Now I’m wondering if I give her my Xr (which does have AppleCare) and I buy myself the 11 for $100 more. I wouldn’t get AC as I will keep it in a heavy duty case. Plus Apple says they made the glass stronger this year (yeah right).

For the $100 more I get the faster chip (who cares), better camera (I like), 4GB of ram vs 3GB (I multitask a lot so I assume this would help) and an extra hour of batter life. Wondering if I am justifying spending more money then I really have to just to get a new device... thoughts?

Get the 11. 100$ for a better battery, a dual rear camera, better front camera, slow motion recording on the front camera, faster processor, better water resistance, night mode, brighter True Tone flash, WiFi 6. Pretty sure there’s more but all that for 100$ extra, no brainier to me.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
In 2-3 years the 11 will likely have $150-200 higher resale value than the Xr.

The 11 is a better as a product and as a financial decision.

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Get the 11 for yourself, no question about it.... Your daughter will be more than happy with the Xr...

scubatopy

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2018
This is exactly what I'm doing with my mom : giving her my Xr (still 100% battery capacity and without defects) and buying a brand new 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.