iPhone XR Xr portrait mode speed for moving children

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hi,

Can anyone comment on the speed of the XR portrait mode for moving kids? Not full out sprinting, but just them being them and being always squirming and wiggling around.

With the X, the portrait mode could do it OK...not as good as the pixel, but OK.
The issue is, the lens is terrible and very pixelated and loses alot of details.

With the XR, using the f1.8 lens, the pic quality is much better, but does it take a relatively still kid for portrait mode to recognize the face? In the store I felt the XS recognized faces much faster, but I'm not sure.

Just want some real world opinions here. I noticed the XR's portrait quality to be much better than the XS, even if it's less than a standard portrait focal length.

Last, is there any word on whether Apple will allow portrait mode with the f1.8 lens, even if it's with software ? This would easily solve my issue as in good light I'd use the 2x portrait mode, but in bad light revert to the f1.8?

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Can’t answer your question directly as I don’t have the XR, however “portrait mode” is just that, for portraits and portraits are not of moving subjects.
So it may kind of “work” but it’s not designed for movement, at least very little.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Blurry. Threaten them with bad dad/mom jokes if they move.

Sorry I have had no luck with portraits and wiggly subjects. It’s also not easy to get my parents or in-laws to be still, either.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Ok well can anyone confirm that the XR takes longer to lock on a person than the X?