iPhone X XR > XS, no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Izauze, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Izauze macrumors 6502

With the XS, you're paying $250 more for:
    • Pro: A dual lens
    • Pro: A slightly better screen
    • Con: A smaller screen
    • Con: Shorter battery life
    • Con: Fewer color options
    ...am I missing anything? Because I really went in not knowing what I'd end up going for, but I see very little reason to choose the XS, and I'm kinda surprised anyone else does either.

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

Better LTE, most likely more ram, stainless steel construction, pressure sensitive screen. Just a few more differences

3. menist macrumors 6502

menist

Xs 4gb ram vs 3gb
    Xs hdr10 compliant oleds screen vs LCD
    Xs 3d touch vs none

It's up to your personal preference and need. I'm coming from a 7, so the Xr will be the perfect upgrade.

4. KOTN91 macrumors member

This is not necessarily a con, in fact it’s a massive, massive pro for me. The screen size is the single reason why I won’t even consider the XR, which is a shame because those colours are awesome

5. AKS3003 macrumors member

The only downside of the XR is the 326 PPI LCD screen when compared to the XS. If you pixel peep, XR is not the phone for you, else XR is the best iPhone of 2018

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

the bezel on the xr looks really bad almost like a Chinese knockoff. The screen is the worst part of that phone. ppi is too low for a 6.1" screen.
    No second camera also is big if youve ever needed zoom but didn't want software zoom you dont have it with the XR.
    Oled screen tech is a huge upgrade worth 200$ just in the screen alone. (290$ if you want to get a oled screen replaced though)

7. kasakka macrumors 68020

I agree. It's a bigass phone and I'm trying to get a smaller one. The lower resolution doesn't help.

8. automan98 macrumors regular

It comes down to do you want a better camera and screen with the Xs.

9. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

My wife wants to get her hands on both. Once the XR comes out, we'll check out our local Apple store

10. FelicityW macrumors regular

I bought the XR because:
    1. I wanted 128GB. 64 is too small, 256 too much, 128 is just right.
    2. The coral looks like orange in the picture and that's my favorite color.
    3. That is a handsome price savings over the other Xes.
    4. The battery life sounds awesome.
    5. The display difference is supposed to be negligible; kinda of like twins, you can only tell them apart when you have them side by side.
    I returned it because:
    1. I decided I could live with 64GB.
    2. The battery life will be good enough. I'm coming from a 6S, for chrissakes. The worst iPhone ever.
    3. I thought I would like the coral. It looked pretty orange to me, but to Apple's credit, it is coral, which has way too much pink. I thought I might like the blue, but an employee at a Verizon store showed me the blue, it was too light. If I kept the XR, I would have exchanged it for white. (If you always got silver iPhones, get the white; space gray, get the black.) The only "color" that probably works, IMHO, is the red.
    4. The display was a disappointment. It didn't wow me. In fact, my screen saver looked terrible compared to my 6S.
    5. I don't like big phones. The sizing up is oh, so incremental, but at the end of the day, the XR is a big ass phone. I really wanted an SE with an edge-to-edge, super-crisp display.
    So, I bought the Xs. The savings to an X wasn't worth it when I read what was actually changed "under the hood". I'm just feeling sad and and a bit ripped off. How did the progression of phones ever get to this price point? I thought about an 8, but I really wanted an edge-to-edge display. Just a smidge smaller in size with a much smaller display and rapidly diminishing value.

What sucks: I was charged a $50 restocking fee. I don't think that is fair when there is NO WAY to see the color of the phone ahead of time. Furthermore, the single color is stuck on the display (stores display white so you can be sure to see the thick black border) and you can't test it in your pocket or check the weight of it. The only reason I was buying a phone now is because my 6S fried itself on Apple's replacement battery. I took it to a repair place to have the battery replaced again, but it was toasted. Literally.

11. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

There are other things like the dual lens camera and 3D Touch and bezel size but it depends on what is important to you.

12. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

I went into the shop wanting reluctantly to buy an XR, although I was really worried about the size of it. complete relief when the guy said he only had XS (I had to buy from my phone provider so I could pay it up). although its 300 euro more, its about 70 euro more up front and 7 euro a month more over 3 years.

the XS is a beautiful phone and similar sized to my 6, any bigger and id drop it constantly.

13. austyn23 macrumors regular

austyn23

THIS!

I liked the XR, great screen for LCD, great "edge to edge" design, super fast, nice camera...

BUT, at the end of the day, was big and heavy in pockets, hands... maybe an ipad is better for games, movies, etc etc... iPad mini perhaps.

The 7 and 8 feel so natural now for me, the XR feels like forced.

14. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502

jimmy_uk

I see them bezels and the lower resolution so XR not for me. Hand size is perfect though.

15. chanerz macrumors 6502a

16. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

The OLED on the Xs is superb. I don't know how could you even say it's a "slightly better screen" when it's much better screen.
    And having a lot of colour options is confusing and makes the phone look cheap IMO, just like the 5c. The standard 3 colour options (which happen to be so beautiful finishes) are classy af.

17. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

The iPhone XR is inferior. Period.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2018 ---
    This.

18. ssledoux macrumors 6502a

ssledoux

Honestly, because side by side, they just don’t look that different. My daughter has an XS, and I opted for XR because I got headaches from the OLED on my Max (and she has them terribly from her XS, but is past the return window and is pretty much screwed at this point).

I put my XR beside her XS all the time, and there just really is NOT that much difference when looking at them from a normal distance. Maybe spec-wise there is, or very up close, but to MOST eyes, at a normal viewing distance, not really.

And I think the colors were done VERY well on these. The 5C was a cheap-looking, plastic phone. These colors are much more tastefully done with the aluminum and glass.

Honestly, I prefer the aluminum anyway because it doesn’t get as scuffed up looking as the stainless, and it’s lighter weight. I realize that isn’t everyone’s preference, but to say it looks cheap is just untrue. In fact, I think the gold stainless looks pretty dang cheesy in comparison.

19. AlthePal macrumors newbie

AlthePal

Also, portrait mode is different. On the XR, it only works when it detects a person, whereas on the XS it works on people, animals and objects.

20. NJHitmen macrumors regular

NJHitmen

I don't understand these XR > XS/XS > XR threads. Short answer: no, XR isn't better than the XS. But neither is the XS superior to the XR.

They're two different phones, aimed at different audiences. For some customers, the XS will be the right choice. For others, it's the XR. Personally, the XR is the device for me, because I value battery life (more than most), and the XR's concessions (mostly the display, camera, & 3d touch) don't bother me. Also, I like the size and price.

But others will take the XS, because of its superior display, telephoto lens, and/or 3d touch. Or maybe just because it's smaller. They're all valid reasons.

Neither choice is wrong. They're both great phones.

21. purged macrumors member

Whoever owns one phone is going to slag the other, because they want to feel secure in their purchase. It’s completely normal human behavior and I’d be more impressed by anyone who actively realized that’s what they are doing. i.e. XS owners having the balls to openly admit the XR is really damned close to their XS (oh the horror!), and XR owners able to admit how classy and uncompromised the XS is.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good explanation. I was under the impression the XS did not work on animals and objects, but being that it does, that is kind of a nice benefit over the XR, especially for those who want to be more diverse if they want Portrait Photo’s of pets or other objects, etc.

23. austyn23 macrumors regular

austyn23

I recommend to sell that XS and go for something else, health first... using something that make you terribly headaches because the return period is over it´s a little...

IMO

24. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Nail on the head.