Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canadaman001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hello

I am a relatively new to color correction, i do have some experience in it since i am editor by trade. I am shooting my first short film and commercial nothing big small project trying to break in to directing. I don't have budget for post i will be handling all of the post production. i all ready own 2 dell u2410 monitors. I did some research and thinking of purchasing xrite i1 display pro co calibrate my monitor to rce 709 which xrite can do. but since i will be just doing this for web only is it wise to spend money on xrite i mean will it make a difference in my color correction?

On my monitor i have option between srgb and rgb and with xrite rec 709 but what is the difference between those 3 and wich one should i use

Thanks
For help

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
It depends. How stealthy are you at recognizing correct SMPTE bars? If you can do that (and most editors I know can) then you should be fine without any color calibration devices. On the internet everyone's monitors are set differently anyway so as long as you're close it's probably good enough. You would be better off spending the money on software or hardware Vectorscope & Waveform Monitors.

Color calibraion devices come in really handy for those people (usually photographers) who do a lot of printing and don't want to waste ink trying to get everything to match up just perfect. But beyond that, ehh... I mean unless you're nearly color blind or something... How do you score on something like this:

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

Arrange the patches to make the gradient from the fixed left to the fixed right color patches and then click the Score Results button.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
I own a DataColor Spyder 4 Pro, very easy to use, and provides accurate calibration.
I have a Dell U2312HM monitor, which from the factory had the greyscale sit pretty close to D65 and 2.2 Gamma.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Hello

I am a relatively new to color correction, i do have some experience in it since i am editor by trade. I am shooting my first short film and commercial nothing big small project trying to break in to directing. I don't have budget for post i will be handling all of the post production. i all ready own 2 dell u2410 monitors. I did some research and thinking of purchasing xrite i1 display pro co calibrate my monitor to rce 709 which xrite can do. but since i will be just doing this for web only is it wise to spend money on xrite i mean will it make a difference in my color correction?

On my monitor i have option between srgb and rgb and with xrite rec 709 but what is the difference between those 3 and wich one should i use

Thanks
For help

For video pretty much you should use REC709, especially for online. RGB is Graphics predominately

canadaman001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
hm

interesting so i should buy i1 display and celebrate my monitor to rec 709 but i was reading that SRGB is pretty close to rec709. I mean is there is bit of a difference will it make huge difference in final image?

And i will be using free version of davinci resolve for color correction

Thanks guys for help

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
interesting so i should buy i1 display and celebrate my monitor to rec 709 but i was reading that SRGB is pretty close to rec709.

All displays shift over time. Just because you selected sRGB, doesn't mean that is precisely what you get. There is also the issue of maintaining a constant brightness. Backlights degrade. LED degrades much slower, but you wouldn't want to run at 100% all the time. It's typical to pick a stable target. I think too many people miss the point when they say it's just for web. The point is to maintain as much consistency as possible between what you see today and a year from now. By the way, that's really independent of the sRGB vs rec709 portion of the discussion. In either case, displays are not entirely stable devices.

canadaman001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
So basically to keep my monitor from shifting i should calibrate it this is where xrite comes in to play. What about going back to factory settings? or it does not matter since once it shift it cant go back.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
So basically to keep my monitor from shifting i should calibrate it this is where xrite comes in to play.

I'm not sure you are grokking that the monitor is going to shift over time no matter what. Re-calibrating later just brings you back into alignment with baseline you are setting. That doesn't "stop" the shifting. It still happening. So you'll need to recalibrate again later to bring back into alignment the color space(s). It is a repetitive process.

The goal is consistent results. Not that the monitor is in the same state.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So basically to keep my monitor from shifting i should calibrate it this is where xrite comes in to play. What about going back to factory settings? or it does not matter since once it shift it cant go back.

You misinterpret me slightly. Displays are unstable devices. They take time to warm up and stabilize each time you turn them on, then there is long term stability, which is what I was trying to address. Factory settings have nothing to do with this. The end result displayed by the hardware will shift over time assuming static settings. Methods of calibration/profiling are just aiming slowly shifting behavior at a static target to minimize deviation at any given time. There are different approaches to this, but the goal is minimize deviation from a given target at any point in the total duty cycle of the display. If you open something 6 months from now, you want it to look like it does today. There are of course issues of consistency between displays and uniformity as well that present further issues. I could go on with this, but it comes back to minimizing deviation wherever possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.