Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone XS Xs back to 8

rjedoaks

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Upgraded to an Xs from a 7 on the Sprint network back in Dec. , my reception where I live became completely spotty. I was missing important calls and texts. Don’t know if it was Sprint or the modem thing, but I have had Sprint for years. Decided to sell the Xs and go for the att iPhone 8 deal. Been missing the smaller size of the 8 ever since. Happy except for that damn home button. Really feels awkward now.

Reactions: apolloa and edhchoe

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
a red flag got waved high in the air 2 years ago when  launched the new 8 along with the new X. There's a reason the 8 exists and it's not just because of nostalgia. It's the fall-back phone for the X variants when things go wrong for the customer- as you've experienced.

Comment

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
a red flag got waved high in the air 2 years ago when  launched the new 8 along with the new X. There's a reason the 8 exists and it's not just because of nostalgia. It's the fall-back phone for the X variants when things go wrong for the customer- as you've experienced.
This is tin foil hat level stuff right here. Apple knew the X had issues, so they made the 8 so people had something reliable to fall back on? Is this what you’re saying?

Comment

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I never had problems with my old X when i had it. Upgraded to the Xs Max because I always wanted the bigger screen but reception has been very poor and consistently dropping my home Wifi that my X never did. Planning to go back once I'm eligible to upgrade next month.

I think its the antenna going from Intel to whatever Apple went to with the Xs and Max.

Sprint here as well.

Reactions: apolloa
Comment

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Can't tell if serious or not...

And holy moly, you've been on this forum since 2002! Well before even the iPhone! That's crazy!

Reactions: DevinNj
Comment

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I have t-mobile. I get no indoor reception at work. But I love the full screen of XS.

Comment

macintoshmac

macrumors 601
May 13, 2010

Now I see it. But I would be naive to believe it. But hey, we are a rumors portal.

Comment

Jack Neill

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
My XS gets better reception than my 8 did. The 8 was launched as cheaper alternative to the X which it was and why I bought it. Not because the X had "issues". Im sorry that's silly.

Reactions: Clockworkz
Comment

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G4
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Haha yeah imagine that! That would be a hell of a strategy and a very defeatist one at that! Lol.

The iPhone 8 existed I think because Apple knew a £1k iPhone X wasn’t going to be appealing to the vast majority of their consumer base. They had to offer a device with a price in line with what they had been selling in previous years. They would have been very stupid not to have done that and the XR followed to continue this trend and satisfy demand in their biggest market segment.

Reactions: DevinNj
Comment

rjedoaks

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Sprint is your first problem...
That may be true. The coverage may have gotten spotty. As I said above, no issues with Sprint on the 7 for 2 years at the same residence. Was going to try an 8 on Sprint just to see if it was the Xs. Didn’t feel like going through the hassle. Bottom line, never had an issue with Sprint until I upgraded to the Xs. This thread was more about the home button feeling awkward after the Xs.

Last edited:
Comment

EdwardC

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Saying "Sprint" is the problem without knowing the circumstances seems a little brash. I have both Sprint and ATT here in N. Georgia and spend quite a bit of time in the mountains and quite often my Sprint phone is the one with coverage. Example U.S. Ranger Camp Merrell in Dahlonega where ATT is useless, same with Frozen Head state park in Tennessee pretty remote area and the only phone that worked was Sprint. Both these locations were tested in the last month. I am finding Sprint to be pretty decent even in the very mountainous remote regions I run in. YMMV......Ed

Comment

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’ll be pretty interested in a new SE if they base it on the 8 I just admit, testing some things on my 6S and I prefer it’s home button in some aspects, and it’s such a cool compact design compared to my XR. We’ll see though.

I can fully understand why you went back to the iPhone 8 instead of the XS.

Reactions: timeconsumer
Comment

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I just love everything about my Iphone 8. I am a little envious of the full screen of the newer phones, but still really like the home button on my 8.

Reactions: timeconsumer
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.