iPhone XS Xs back to 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rjedoaks, Jul 20, 2019.

1. rjedoaks macrumors member

rjedoaks

Upgraded to an Xs from a 7 on the Sprint network back in Dec. , my reception where I live became completely spotty. I was missing important calls and texts. Don’t know if it was Sprint or the modem thing, but I have had Sprint for years. Decided to sell the Xs and go for the att iPhone 8 deal. Been missing the smaller size of the 8 ever since. Happy except for that damn home button. Really feels awkward now.

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

a red flag got waved high in the air 2 years ago when  launched the new 8 along with the new X. There's a reason the 8 exists and it's not just because of nostalgia. It's the fall-back phone for the X variants when things go wrong for the customer- as you've experienced.

3. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Went from Sprint to AT&T? Potentially that may have resolved your issue to begin with.

4. tonybarnaby macrumors 68000

This is tin foil hat level stuff right here. Apple knew the X had issues, so they made the 8 so people had something reliable to fall back on? Is this what you’re saying?

5. rockitdog macrumors 68020

6. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I never had problems with my old X when i had it. Upgraded to the Xs Max because I always wanted the bigger screen but reception has been very poor and consistently dropping my home Wifi that my X never did. Planning to go back once I'm eligible to upgrade next month.

I think its the antenna going from Intel to whatever Apple went to with the Xs and Max.

Sprint here as well.

7. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

Can't tell if serious or not...

And holy moly, you've been on this forum since 2002! Well before even the iPhone! That's crazy!

8. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I have t-mobile. I get no indoor reception at work. But I love the full screen of XS.

9. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Now I see it. But I would be naive to believe it. But hey, we are a rumors portal.

10. Jack Neill macrumors 6502

Jack Neill

My XS gets better reception than my 8 did. The 8 was launched as cheaper alternative to the X which it was and why I bought it. Not because the X had "issues". Im sorry that's silly.

11. Clockworkz macrumors member

Clockworkz

I had sprint for a little less than a year and I switched for the same reasons years ago, horrible reception, missed calls etc. Went back to Verizon and I couldn’t be happier.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Haha yeah imagine that! That would be a hell of a strategy and a very defeatist one at that! Lol.

The iPhone 8 existed I think because Apple knew a £1k iPhone X wasn’t going to be appealing to the vast majority of their consumer base. They had to offer a device with a price in line with what they had been selling in previous years. They would have been very stupid not to have done that and the XR followed to continue this trend and satisfy demand in their biggest market segment.

13. rjedoaks, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019

rjedoaks thread starter macrumors member

rjedoaks

That may be true. The coverage may have gotten spotty. As I said above, no issues with Sprint on the 7 for 2 years at the same residence. Was going to try an 8 on Sprint just to see if it was the Xs. Didn’t feel like going through the hassle. Bottom line, never had an issue with Sprint until I upgraded to the Xs. This thread was more about the home button feeling awkward after the Xs.

14. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

Saying "Sprint" is the problem without knowing the circumstances seems a little brash. I have both Sprint and ATT here in N. Georgia and spend quite a bit of time in the mountains and quite often my Sprint phone is the one with coverage. Example U.S. Ranger Camp Merrell in Dahlonega where ATT is useless, same with Frozen Head state park in Tennessee pretty remote area and the only phone that worked was Sprint. Both these locations were tested in the last month. I am finding Sprint to be pretty decent even in the very mountainous remote regions I run in. YMMV......Ed

15. apolloa macrumors G5

I’ll be pretty interested in a new SE if they base it on the 8 I just admit, testing some things on my 6S and I prefer it’s home button in some aspects, and it’s such a cool compact design compared to my XR. We’ll see though.

I can fully understand why you went back to the iPhone 8 instead of the XS.

16. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I just love everything about my Iphone 8. I am a little envious of the full screen of the newer phones, but still really like the home button on my 8.