iPhone XS XS can’t record video while driving??

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I took my XS on vacation. While driving around sightseeing, I had to charge my phone. I plugged my phone into the car’s USB via lightning connector. When I tried to take some video, the XS would just pulsate. Like it’s trying to focus over and over again.

This problem is totally repeatable for me. Tried it on two different cars with the same result.

Can anyone else test it out and let me know if their phone does the same?

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
The USB connector on many cars provides dirty power which can damage the phone.

Use a power bank whenever possible.

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014

I didn’t know that. So what’s the best way to use Apple CarPlay?

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I took my XS on vacation. While driving around sightseeing, I had to charge my phone. I plugged my phone into the car’s USB via lightning connector. When I tried to take some video, the XS would just pulsate. Like it’s trying to focus over and over again.

This problem is totally repeatable for me. Tried it on two different cars with the same result.

Are you using CarPlay? If so, this is the intended reaction, because it does NOT want you to use your phone while driving.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010

Can you please explain. I have no clue what you’re talking about. “Dirty power”? I read and watch videos about tech all the time and I’ve never heard of this.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018

if anything the USB port in most cars are underpowered and wouldn't be capable of damaging anything.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009

On one occasion my Max freaked out and would not focus. the image just zoomed in and out over and over. I had to power cycle my max and everything seemed to be restored. But i don't know if ithis is exactly what you are deciding.

Otherwise when my camera is in the car clamp (I use a Koomus CD Player mounted car mount) it can focus and record the video is always very jiggly. The movement of the car is too much for the Max's OIS and the image is very unstable.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Can you please explain. I have no clue what you’re talking about. “Dirty power”? I read and watch videos about tech all the time and I’ve never heard of this.
During ignition, the voltage of the 12V system can vary between 8-14V. Most cheapo USB adapters have little or no input protection and expect 12V. This why you hear sometimes car chargers frying USB devices.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
During ignition, the voltage of the 12V system can vary between 8-14V. Most cheapo USB adapters have little or no input protection and expect 12V. This why you hear sometimes car chargers frying USB devices.
What if you're charging from the cigarette lighter? Does that make a difference?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Although you didn't quote me "dirty power" is just when the conditions of the power being delivered are not as intended and/or expected.

In my line of work its nearly exclusively used to describe alternating currents frequency not being 60hz mostly because its difficult for someone that doesn't understand the symptoms to describe. Lights dimming due to a dip in the power is just called "lights dimming".

While I personally never heard the term referenced outside of AC power I guess there is no reason the term can't be used for DC power although DC doesn't have a frequency. USB has a 5vdc +/- .25v specification so outside of that could be considered "dirty power".

Reactions: Newtons Apple

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Better

Everyone better not use their chargers at home because of power surges, either.
Home power is far more stable compared to constant surges from alternators and engine revving.
[doublepost=1538552598][/doublepost]
How do you charge the power bank?
You can charge anywhere, including in your car. Charging a battery is far less sensitive to voltage fluctuations than powering a smartphone with a touchscreen, radio, and an optically stabilized camera.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
I am pretty sure the phone is isolated from most voltage variations as it is running off the battery. The charging circuit is experiencing the changes.
You can Google and find plenty of people with ghost touch issues when they use a cheap, non-Apple wall charger. The issue resolves itself as soon as they disconnect the charger.

Reactions: seinman

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I tried to do a Screen Record to capture the event, but apparently Screen Record is disabled too. Weird.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Home power is far more stable compared to constant surges from alternators and engine revving.
[doublepost=1538552598][/doublepost]

You can charge anywhere, including in your car. Charging a battery is far less sensitive to voltage fluctuations than powering a smartphone with a touchscreen, radio, and an optically stabilized camera.
But you aren't powering the phone. You're just charging the battery.

I guess the simple answer is just to buy a quality USB charge adapter for a 12 volt power port.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Also, start the car first so the power can stabilize, then plug your phone in. Don't plug it in before the car is started.
I don't think it's all the critical unless you have a really old car or dead battery. Newer cars have on board computers and networks that would not function with power dirty enough to affect an iPhone's charging.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
I don't think it's all the critical unless you have a really old car or dead battery. Newer cars have on board computers and networks that would not function with power dirty enough to affect an iPhone's charging.
True. But if you're still dealing with a cigarette lighter to charge, it's probably wise advice. And I've seen a few mention cigarette lighters.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
But you aren't powering the phone. You're just charging the battery.

I guess the simple answer is just to buy a quality USB charge adapter for a 12 volt power port.
Given what I already described above with ghost touch and cheap chargers, the theory that the charger is "just" charging the phone is bunk.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Given what I already described above with ghost touch and cheap chargers, the theory that the charger is "just" charging the phone is bunk.
That's fine, but with your theory, CarPlay is impossible. iPod over USB is impossible. Many cars have these features and have the same electrical system as models that do not. OP even tried two different cars. That should have ruled out one car having some issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.