iPhone XS XS Grainy Pics!!

gio2369

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Evening Y’all! So been noticing with my XS that some pictures come out great and some very grainy. I reached out to apple support and got an interesting answer.....It looks like our engineering team has been investigating this. It has to do with a more aggressive noise reductions and multiple layering of exposures with the new camera system. Not sure if I should just wait for a patch or return it.. what would you do

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
There's a thread below dedicated to pics from the XS. The pics look fantastic. Can you post an example of the grainy pics you're experiencing. The nature of software updates is that they constantly tweak and improve things. So it boils down to the possibility of a defective camera module. Assuming you are within the return period then I would simply do a return and get a replacement.

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
Evening Y’all! So been noticing with my XS that some pictures come out great and some very grainy. I reached out to apple support and got an interesting answer.....It looks like our engineering team has been investigating this. It has to do with a more aggressive noise reductions and multiple layering of exposures with the new camera system. Not sure if I should just wait for a patch or return it.. what would you do
Being they said it's adding more noise reduction, I can't see how it's grainy? Can you post an example? I took this today. Not bad for a cell phone.
IMG_0356.jpeg

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Without an example, it's impossible to say if what you're seeing is normal or abnormal. Things might be fine or you might need a new phone. I personally haven't had any issues. But I saw another post where someone had similar problems and ended up exchanging the phone. In that case, the problem was quite obvious.

gio2369

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Just seems indoors provide grainy pics but maybe that’s just how it is.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Just seems indoors provide grainy pics but maybe that’s just how it is.
Maybe, maybe not. There's a very good chance that's all it is. But like I said, someone in a different thread was getting horribly grainy photos inside. Being a photographer, she knew it didn't look right. So she compared her photos to some taken by her husband's phone. Sure enough, his were clear as a tack. She went to Apple and got a new phone in no time. Your grainy photos are quite likely the result of poor indoor lighting, but no one can say for sure without some examples.

PBz

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
Some tips.. make sure lens cover is clean. When taking the picture hold as still as possible and press lightly as possible. There is something about the two-lens system ‘math’ that can cause this. It started with the 7+. It’s gotten better with each phone since. Low-light means slower shutter speed and/or higher ISO which can lead to more noise reduction .. often having that slimy water-color effect.
[doublepost=1539562997][/doublepost]
View attachment 795064 View attachment 795065
[doublepost=1539561395][/doublepost]These look fuzzy, grainy. Please advise.
Looks like bad lighting with brighter lighting in the background. Not optimal conditions for any camera.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
They do look grainy if taken in low light. That’s the noise reduction at work. It has always been the case with any iPhone. However, due to higher ISO used on the Xs it’s more obvious now.

gio2369

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks for the tips everyone. I just thought all the commotion over this camera and for low light to still be that poor is disappointing.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Being they said it's adding more noise reduction, I can't see how it's grainy? Can you post an example? I took this today. Not bad for a cell phone.
View attachment 794862
There’s something not quite right with that image, here’s a comparison pic I took with my Xs on a nice bright sunny day...
EE6A81B9-4CCC-43FD-8737-5C272A25C39D.jpeg

Your pic seems super grainy like too much sharpness has been applied, if that was my Xs I’d return it for a replacement.

Adam.

Reactions: cashville2400

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
There’s something not quite right with that image...
In all fairness, it might have been from a moving car, a boat, maybe they just weren't holding the camera super steady or maybe the Machine Learning portion just went haywire. Zoomed in it looks odd for sure. Not zoomed in, it's a nice photo. But hopefully they're not all coming out like that.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2013
UK
In all fairness, it might have been from a moving car, a boat, maybe they just weren't holding the camera super steady or maybe the Machine Learning portion just went haywire. Zoomed in it looks odd for sure. Not zoomed in, it's a nice photo. But hopefully they're not all coming out like that.
Yes it’s a nice photo, no denying that, but as you say zoomed in it looks odd, I’m not sure what’s happened with it, but it looks like it’s been processed to the max or something, that’s certainly not how it’s meant to look, in the camera thread there’s a lot of very awesome images, even when zoomed in most of them look good still.

Adam.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

PBz

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
93FDE4B8-2B29-4D54-BA60-33DC890390BC.jpeg
Here is one I thought looked good but upon inspection the water has issues when zoomed. It’s the ol’ water-color noise reduction IMO. 8+.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Here is one I thought looked good but upon inspection the water has issues when zoomed. It’s the ol’ water-color noise reduction IMO. 8+.
The worst of the water issues appear to be on the left. Beyond that, I think it looks fine without studying it closely. And zoomed out it looks great. So crop it or don't zoom. :)

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Some of this is not noise reduction - post 7, the immensely zoomed shot is classic jpeg compression artifacts.

It would be interesting to see images in a lossless format - or sections of them if the forum image size restrictions do not prohibit it. BTW, some forum software also re-sizes images so it would be nice to know if that’s going on. One usually sees this in older forum software, but MR is not primarily a photo site so who knows?

Cheers, Azy

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
Your photos are completely fine. They have some noise and lack some details because they were taken in low light conditions. In any case, if this was a real issue from Apple, a software update would fix it. But as I said, you have nothing wrong with your phone.

PBz

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
No issues in my opinion. Zooming in beyond 1:1 is a good way to look for problems that don't exist.
Agree.im fine with it. But found the blurring effect if zoomed. Not as bad as foliage in other image. Phone camera pic zooming never will be great.