Other XS Max camera taking dark pictures in low lights?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Sep 22, 2018.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

I noticed in low light condition my XS Max takes darker and fuzzier pictures than my X. I’m checking my body weight periodically, so I would capture the reading on my digital bathroom scale sometimes, I noticed the picture I took this morning with my new Max are darker than normal when facing the digital display of the bathroom Wright scale. It’s to the point the numbers are not clearly seen. I took same pictures with my X and had no such issue.

I restored the Max from the X iCloud backup, so it should maintain the same camera settings as the X.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

3. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now I can say this issue is only apply to taking pictures against some kind kind of LCD display. Such as the digital display mentioned above and TV screen.

4. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here’s the picture I was talking about. Left picture was made by XS Max, right picture made by X, under the same lighting.

PS no comments on the weight please LOL.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2018 ---
    Sorry still figuring out how to insert pictures using Tapatalk. The button on the iPhone keyboard where I can insert photo is gone now.

5. Edward Wright macrumors newbie

Edward Wright

Yes, the XS/XS Max will take photos with more grain/noise. That’s because the XS/XS Max has a higher ISO speed and that new Smart HDR which takes multiple photos and picks out the best. So, basically to get a sharp, perfectly aligned burst of images, the iPhone needs to take photos really fast. That requires a shorter shutter speed — and that, in turn, means that there will be more noise in the image.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I love my XS Max and the pictures come out great in normal light but Apple is about two years behind in low light execution.